Creamy homemade Chicken and Rice Soup is hearty & flavorful. Best of all, it’s on the table in just 30 minutes!
Easy Chicken and Rice Soup
We’ve discussed our love for soups about a gazillion times here on the site. It’s almost as if there is nothing more delicious than a big, warm bowl of soup when the weather is cold and Christmas is around the corner. Just the thought of this makes my heart swell with happiness. 😀
Because we love soups (like our Chicken Noodle Soup or Baked Potato Soup) so much, we have enjoyed trying out new recipes and sharing them with all y’all. We only share our favorites and although we have TOO many favorites on the site, we want to share another recipe for you guys that we really enjoyed – Easy Chicken and Rice Soup.
We had never tried a recipe even similar to this, so it was really fun to try a soup with a whole new flavor and texture. Adding rice into the soup makes it really hearty – not to mention all of the other yummy ingredients this soup is packed with! I should also mention that this Chicken Rice Soup was super simple to make.
How to Make Homemade Chicken Rice Soup
This soup is packed full of the most amazing ingredients that make it so hearty and filling. These ingredients include:
- Long grain rice
- Cream of chicken and mushroom soup
- Chicken cubes
- Cream cheese
If I haven’t already convinced you to try this recipe by the ingredients list, maybe these simple instructions will. 😉
RICE. Cook rice as directed on package in a large pot.
COOK. Add remaining ingredients to large pot and cook on low-medium heat until blended and heated through (about 20 minutes).
That’s IT! In just about 30 minutes, you can have this homemade chicken and rice soup on the table.
Tips, Variations + Storing info
Cook rice before adding it to the soup. You can also throw in the uncooked rice once your soup is starting to boil. Turn the heat to LOW and cook for about 25 minutes or so.
Make this soup in a crock pot:
- Add all ingredients to your slow cooker and cook on LOW for 5-6 hours or HIGH for 2-3 hours.
- Add rice for the last hour or so, or until it is tender.
Make this soup in the Instant Pot:
- Take your raw chicken and cut it into bite-sized pieces.
- Turn your instant pot onto the saute function and let some oil heat up with your stainless steel insert sitting in the pot.
- Add the veggies and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add the chicken cubes and saute for another 2 minutes. When the chicken starts turning white add in the seasonings. Cook until it’s almost done.
- Add your rice and liquids stirring well.
- Close the lid and seal it. Set the instant pot to high and set the timer for 4 minutes.(Before the timer starts it will take about 7 minutes for the pressure to build up) When the timer is done it will naturally release pressure for five minutes. Then help it finish along by moving the valve to the venting position.
Freezing Ahead of Time: If you are planning on making this soup to FREEZE immediately (before cooking) there are some alterations you can make that will yield a better result when you defrost the soup to eat later.
- Freeze the rice in a separate bag. Add it to the soup mixture once it has been thawed and you’re ready to heat it up.
- Make sure that you don’t completely thaw the frozen vegetables. Raw veggies after being frozen and reheated lose some of the texture they need.
- Place the chilled soup in freezer safe tupperware containers, leaving a little space at the top for the liquid to expand when it freezes. Leave in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Defrost the soup in the fridge. Add the rice and heat the soup on the stove over low heat.
STORE leftovers in the fridge for 2-3 days or freezer for up to 3 months. Keep in mind the rice will continue to absorb the broth and may be mushy, but the soup will still be super flavorful and tasty. Reheat on the stove or microwave, add broth as needed.
For more chicken soup recipes, check out:
- Chicken & Dumplings Soup
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Crock Pot Green Chile Enchilada Soup
- Crock Pot Creamy Chicken Stew
- Tuscan Chicken Soup
Chicken Rice Soup Recipe
- 1 c long grain rice
- 1 can cream of chicken soup (10.75 oz)
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup (10.75 oz)
- 3 c milk
- 1 1/2 c cooked chicken cubes (2 chicken breasts)
- 2 c frozen vegetables thawed and chopped
- 3/4 c cream cheese
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- garlic salt and pepper to taste
- Cook rice as directed on package in a large pot.
- Add remaining ingredients to large pot and cook on low-medium heat until blended and heated through (about 20 minutes).