Melt in your mouth Homemade Cornbread has a hint of sweetness! It’s especially perfect to serve with your favorite soup and chili recipes.
This delicious Homemade Cornbread is the perfect side to all your favorite soups and chilis and will be on repeat all fall long! Our favs to serve this with include White Chicken Chili, Chicken Enchilada Soup, and our Go-to Beef Chili Recipe.
Our Favorite Fall Side!
Who here loves Cornbread?!
This easy Homemade Cornbread recipe is another dish I didn’t love as a kid, but absolutely love it now! In fact, I can’t even imagine NOT having Cornbread with any sort of Chili or stew.
This easy Cornbread recipe is just simple, buttery, AND sweet which means you can’t go wrong!
Although we love the sweet and savory found in this Cornbread recipe, we also love our Sweet Cornbread, which has a lot more sugar and is simply delicious.
This best Cornbread recipe is perfect with most soup recipes. It’s especially delicious and melts in your mouth when it’s fresh and warm from the oven.
How to make CornBread
It’s so easy and does NOT require a ton of time!
PREP. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease an 8×10 (or 9×9) inch baking dish. Set aside.
DRY INGREDIENTS. In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
WET INGREDIENTS. Make a well in the center of your dry ingredients and pour in milk, egg, and butter. Stir until just combined and then pour batter into the prepared pan.
BAKE. Bake for 20-24 minutes. Check by inserting a toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean, it’s done.
Variations + substitutions
Another really delicious way to change up this Cornbread is to add a few extra ingredients before baking, or substitute ingredients:
- Add crumbled cooked bacon, cheddar cheese, and chives to the top for savory bread.
- For a sweet variation add dried cranberries and chopped walnuts. Top with a drizzle of honey.
- Serve with Honey Butter or Cinnamon Butter.
- Try using an equal amount of buttermilk in place of regular milk.
- Using room temperature eggs can help them incorporate better into the other ingredients.
- Use ⅓ cup white sugar and ⅓ cup brown sugar for added flavor and texture.
- Fine cornmeal: the finer the cornmeal the less gritty the bread will be.
- The baking powder is important for both taste and texture. An easy substitution with a similar result: for every teaspoon of baking powder, use ¼ teaspoon baking soda and ½ teaspoon white vinegar.
Make them into muffins. Another way to bake this bread is to use a muffin pan. Pour the batter equally into a muffin pan filling each tin about ⅔ of the way, and bake at 350 degrees F for 12-14 minutes. This recipe makes 12 muffins.
We also have another recipe for Cornbread Muffins that is super tasty.
Crispy crust. If you want a crispy crust, try baking it in a preheated cast iron skillet.
- Place the skillet in the oven for 10 minutes then spray with oil or coat with bacon grease for added flavor.
- Pour in the batter and bake.
- Check on the bread after 15 minutes by sticking a toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean, the bread is done.
Moist cornbread. To help yield moist bread do not over-mix the ingredients. Do not overbake the bread. To make extra moist bread try adding an additional egg or a tablespoon of sour cream.
STORE the cooled cornbread wrapped in tin foil or in a Ziploc bag. Keep it at room temperature for 1-2 days, or in the fridge for up to 4 days.
FREEZE. Let the bread cool, then wrap it as a whole block or in sections with plastic wrap. Wrap again with aluminum foil, or place in a freezer Ziploc bag. Label and freeze for 1-2 months.
To reheat. Thaw at room temperature, remove the plastic wrap then rewrap in tin foil. Bake at 350°F until warm.
For More breads, check out:
- Bread Bowl
- Sour Cream Cornbread
- Olive Garden Breadsticks
- No Knead Bread
- Pull Apart Bread Recipe
- Mexican Cornbread
- Jalapeno Cornbread
Homemade Cornbread Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8-x-10-inch (or 9-x-9-inch) baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in milk, eggs and butter. Stir until just combined, then pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20-24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.