You’re going to fall hard for this spicy and hearty homemade beef chili. This chili recipe is not only simple, but is flavorful and filled with ground beef, tomatoes, beans, spices and all the toppings making it an award winning chili recipe.
Favorite Homemade Chili
When it’s the end of summer and the beginning of fall, I get SO excited about all of the cooler weather recipes I get to start cooking. Like THIS CHILI! All I want in life if a big bowl of this homemade chili. I love the spice, the flavor, the beans, the big chunks of meat, and pretty much everything else about it. It is so delicious, and I know you will love it too when you make this recipe!
MY LATEST VIDEOS
This is one of the easiest chili recipes. We love to make a big pot of this for gatherings with family and friends. I always whip out this recipe for chili cookouts because everyone that tries it, loves it. Here’s another fun idea – try making this chili on Halloween night post-trick-or-treating! Sounds perfect to me. But let’s be honest, this homemade chili is good on ANY night. It just makes me happy thinking about making this chili. Spoon yourself a big bowl of comfort and top it with a little cheese and a lime wedge. YUM.
How to Make Chili
Is there anything better than a one pot meal? Sign me up for little-to-no clean up any day!! Who wants to do dishes on top of making dinner? That’s why this recipe is one of my all time favorites. Great ingredients, super easy to cook up, and just a couple of dishes to wash. Yes, yes, and yes.
- Grab one of your large cooking pots and heat it on medium heat. Cook up the ground beef and drain the excess fat from the pot.
- Add the tomatoes, all of the seasonings, and the water to the pot. Stir it to combine and bring it to a boil on high heat.
- Before you add the kidney and black beans, make sure you drain and rinse them from the can. Then add the beans to your chili. Cover the pot with the lid and simmer on low for 1-2 hours. Give it a little taste halfway through to see if you need more cooking time. Make sure the beans are cooked to your liking.
Serve the chili in bowls with your desired toppings. Here are some of our favorite chili toppings:
- Lime wedges
- shredded cheeses
- sour cream
- tortilla chips
- corn bread (my favorite!)
I’m almost drooling over here. I need this chili in my life.
Best Chili Recipe
I have a feeling this will become your go-to chili recipe because it is so simple and delicious. AND, I also think it’s the best chili recipe to bring to your next chili contest. It has all the flavors everyone loves to make it award-winning. In case, you want to add a little extra to it, here are some chili secret ingredients that will add even more flavor!
- Lime Juice – it adds just a bit of tang and a clean, fresh taste
- Cornmeal – adding just a few tablespoons will thicken the chili and add a polenta flavor.
- Sugar – a pinch is all you need to help balance some of the flavors in your chili
- Zucchini – it makes it heartier, adds texture and gives bonus veggie nutrition!
- Mustard – don’t knock it until you try it. Add a tbsp enhances the chili flavor like you’d never imagine.
Want to make this in the slow cooker? No problem, just cook the meat and then add all the ingredients to a slow cooker and cook on low for 3-4 hours!!
Is it fall yet? Because I want to put this chili into my weekly dinner rotation!
Complete the meal by also making:
And for more chili recipes, check out:
You're going to fall hard for this spicy and hearty homemade beef chili. This chili recipe is not only simple, but is flavorful and filled with ground beef, tomatoes, beans, spices and all the toppings making it an award winning chili recipe.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, Rotel
- 2 (8oz) cans tomato sauce
- 1 TB cumin
- 1 TB chili powder
- 1 tso salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 (14oz) can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 (14oz) can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup water
In a large pot, cook ground meat. Drain excess grease and add tomatoes, seasonings, and water, bring to a boil.
Add beans, cover and simmer 1-2 hours.
Serve with desired toppings
TRIED & TRUE FINDINGS:
- DIFFICULTY: so easy
- HOW MANY DOES IT FEED: 6
- ANY CHANGES MADE: used beef instead of turkey, no onions, green peppers, jalapenos, or cayenne pepper, used 2 cans of rotel instead of 1 and used 1 TB of cumin and chili powder, instead of 2.
- ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR NEXT TIME: none
Adapted from www.geniuskitchen.com