Perfectly spiced, creamy Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Soup is an easy slow cooker favorite, perfect for busy days!
Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Soup has all the best flavors we love about Chicken Enchiladas compiled into an easy soup made in the crockpot. It’s a little different from our Chili’s Chicken Enchilada Soup but just as creamy and satisfying!
The perfect crockpot soup
This Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Soup recipe has to be a new favorite. It was SOO easy to make and turned out fabulous!! We’ve always been suckers for green chiles and Enchiladas, so making a soup version of these things sounded wonderful.
Chicken Tortilla Soup is a Mexican Food classic. It has some flavors in common with this Chicken Enchilada soup such as chicken and chiles, but Tortilla Soup is generally spicier and thinner. Whereas, Chicken Enchilada Soup is creamier and tends to be milder.
The combination of chicken, green chiles, spices, corn, and cream cheese makes this recipe irresistible. You really can’t beat throwing everything in the slow cooker and having a delicious meal within a few hours. Pretty amazing!
Green Chicken Enchilada Soup
COMBINE + COOK. Place chicken broth, enchilada sauce, green chiles, water, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, and shredded chicken in a crock pot on HIGH. Cook for 3½ hours.
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS. After cooking for 3½ hours add corn, rice, and cubed cream cheese. Stir and cook for ½ hour.
SEASON + SERVE! Add salt and pepper to taste and top with Monterrey Jack Cheese.
If you’re in a pinch for time, make this Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Soup on the stovetop instead of in the crockpot.
- Add broth, enchilada sauce, diced green chilies, water, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, and chicken to a large pot.
- Bring to a boil, and add rice and cream cheese.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes. Mix well so all cream cheese chunks are gone.
- Add salt and pepper and cheese right before serving.
The flavors of this Crockpot Enchilada Soup really are phenomenal. It has all the ingredients similar to enchiladas but in a soup form.
Flavor variations. Add more flavor with bell peppers, black beans, and other types of cheese. Swap out the cream cheese. It will change the flavor and texture a bit, but you can substitute the cream cheese with pureed cottage cheese or plain yogurt.
Best toppings. After dishing the soup into bowls, top the soup with a dollop of sour cream, avocado slices, tortilla strips, diced tomatoes, or a pinch of fresh cilantro. Place a lime wedge on the side of the bowl to squeeze over the soup.
Chicken. Use boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs. Cook shredded chicken, use precooked packaged chicken, or shred a rotisserie chicken.
Cook the chicken in the crockpot:
- Place the raw chicken (not frozen) in the pot along with the other ingredients in step 1. Cook the soup on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW for 5-7 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred it with a fork. Add it back in and complete steps 2 and 3.
- Or simply follow our Slow Cooker Roast Chicken recipe – it’s so flavorful!
Thin out soup. If the Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Soup is too thick, add a little more chicken stock until you reach your desired texture.
Thicken soup. If the soup is too thin, add a little more cream cheese or rice. Add flour: in a separate bowl combine ¼ C of soup and 2 Tbsp of flour. Mix until smooth then add back into the soup.
Storing info + Side IDEAS
STORE. Place Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Soup in an airtight container and store in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
FREEZE. Place the soup in an airtight container and store it in the freezer for 4-6 months. Let the soup thaw in the fridge. Slowly reheat in a pot over LOW heat. Stir constantly to keep the cream cheese combined with the soup.
For more slow cooker soups, check out:
- Slow Cooker Taco Soup
- Crock Pot Hamburger Soup
- Slow Cooker Tortellini Spinach Soup
- Crock Pot Baked Potato Soup
- Crock Pot Taco Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Green Chili Chicken Soup
Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe
- 4 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 2 14.5 oz cans chicken broth
- 2 15 oz cans mild green enchilada sauce
- 2 4 oz cans diced green chiles
- ⅔ cup water
- 1 ½ tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅔ cup corn, thawed if frozen
- ⅔ cup instant rice
- 1 8 ounce cream cheese, softened and cubed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toppings: Monterey Jack cheese fresh cilantro
- Combine chicken, broth, enchilada sauce, green chiles, water, cumin, chili powder, onion powder and garlic powder in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 3 ½ hours.
- Add corn, rice and cream cheese. Stir and cook on high for 30 minutes more.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and top with Monterey Jack cheese and cilantro before serving.
- In a large pot, combine chicken, broth, enchilada sauce, green chiles, water, cumin, chili powder, onion powder and garlic powder and bring to a boil.
- Add corn, rice and cream cheese, reduce the heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Mix well so all cream cheese chunks are gone, then add salt and pepper. Serve garnished with cheese and cilantro.