Crock Pot Green Chile Enchilada Soup is a new favorite soup packed with chicken, green chiles, corn, rice, and mixed with lots of spices and cheeses. Since the crockpot does all the work, you can easily make this soup even on your busiest days.
This recipe has all the best flavors we love about chicken enchiladas compiled into an easy soup made in the crockpot. A little different from our Chili’s Chicken Enchilada Soup recipe, but just as creamy and satisfying!
The perfect crockpot soup
I LOVE SOUPS!!! Seriously, there is something about warm, delicious soup recipes and the holidays that make me so incredibly giddy! I think more than anything soup reminds me of the cooler weather which usually means the holidays are close by, and that truly brings a smile to my face.
This Chicken Enchilada Soup recipe has to be a new favorite. It was SOO easy to make and turned out fabulous!! We’ve always been suckers for Green Chiles and Enchiladas, so making a soup version of these things sounded wonderful.
The combination of the chicken, green chiles, spices, corn and cream cheese (and all in the slow cooker) make this recipe irresistible and so easy. You really can’t beat throwing everything in the slow cooker and having a delicious meal within a few hours. Pretty amazing!
big flavor, little effort!
The flavors of this green chili chicken soup really are phenomenal. It has all the ingredients similar to enchiladas but in a soup form. It has shredded chicken, green chiles, and lots of cheese, packing a bold flavor.
You can even add any other ingredients you’d like including bell peppers, beans, and other types of cheese. If you want to, you can swap out the cream cheese. It will change the flavor and texture a bit, but you can substitute the cream cheese. Try using pureed cottage cheese or plain yogurt.
This soup hardly requires any effort on your part. You put most of the ingredients in the crockpot, cook, add the remaining ingredients, and cook some more! Then you top with cheese and any other toppings you enjoy!
Best Toppings for Enchilada Soup? After dishing the soup into bowls, you can top the soup with a dollop of sour cream, tortilla strips, a pinch of fresh cilantro. You can even place a lime wedge on the side of the bowl to squeeze over the soup.
If you’re in a pinch for time, you can make this on the stovetop instead of in the crockpot. Just add broth, enchilada sauce, green chiles, water, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder and chicken to a large pot.
Bring to a boil, add rice and cream cheese and reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes. Mix well so all cream cheese chunks are gone. Add salt and pepper and cheese right before serving.
Storage tips and troubleshooting
How to store leftovers:
- Fridge: Place the soup in an airtight container and store in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- Freezer: Place soup in an airtight container and store in the freezer for 4-6 months. Let soup thaw in the fridge. Slowly reheat in a pot over LOW heat. Stir constantly to keep the cream cheese combined with the soup.
What do I do if the soup is too thick or too thin? If it’s too thick, add a little more chicken stock until you reach your desired texture.
If it’s too thin, add a little more cream cheese or rice. You can also add flour: In a separate bowl combine ¼ c of soup and 2 Tbsp of flour. Mix until smooth then add back into the soup.
We love that this recipe is such a crowd pleaser!! It’s simple, so flavorful and perfect for soup season. We will definitely be making this recipe on a regular basis since it’s so easy and so delicious. 🙂
For more slow cooker soups, check out:
- Slow Cooker Taco Soup
- Crock Pot Hamburger Soup
- Slow Cooker Tortellini Spinach Soup
- Crock Pot Baked Potato Soup
- Crock Pot Taco Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Green Chili Chicken Soup
Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe
- 4 chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 2 14.5 oz cans chicken broth
- 2 15 oz cans mild green enchilada sauce
- 2 4 oz cans diced green chiles
- 2/3 c water
- 1 1/2 TB cumin
- 1 TB chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2/3 c corn (if frozen, thaw out)
- 2/3 c instant rice
- 8 oz cream cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Monterrey jack cheese
- Place chicken broth, enchilada sauce, green chiles, water, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder and shredded chicken in crock pot on HIGH. Cook for 3.5 hours.
- After cooking for 3.5 hours add corn, rice and cubed cream cheese. Stir and cook for half hour.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and top with Monterrey Jack Cheese.