Hearty Italian Chicken Vegetable Soup is packed full of flavor. It’s is a great lightweight soup option perfect for any day of the year!
Who here loves Italian food?
We LOVE it at our home! The flavors are delicious and there are just so many different recipes that fall under this category that we can never get sick of it. Although we love all the pizzas, lasagnas and pastas we are also fans of the Italian soups. And since soup season is just around the corner, we wanted to share a recipe for Italian Chicken Vegetable Soup.
This tasty soup is very simple and very flavorful. I also love that it’s not a super thick or creamy soup. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love a bowl of creamy chowder, but sometimes those soups can be a little too heavy. This Italian chicken soup is much lighter and lower in calories, so I feel like I could always be in the mood to eat it!
Like I said, this Italian chicken soup does take a few extra minutes, but it’s still done in less than an hour. And the steps themselves are extremely easy. Believe me, the extra time is well worth it with how amazingly flavorful the soup turns out!
How to make Chicken Vegetable Soup
CHICKEN. In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until cooked through.
VEGGIES. Add carrots and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in zucchini, tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
SIMMER. Reduce heat and simmer for 25 – 30 minutes.
SERVE. Top with Parmesan cheese and serve warm. ENJOY!
Tips, Variations + Storing Info
Use either frozen or fresh veggies for the soup. Luckily frozen veggies are picked at the peak of freshness so you will get a good flavor whether you use fresh or frozen veggies. Make sure that the veggies are not spoiled and have a good color and texture.
Slow Cooker: Using a slow cooker is a great way to make this soup on a busy day. You still saute the chicken in a pan with the garlic. However, you do not need to cook it through as it will finish cooking in the crockpot. Put the chicken, garlic and other ingredients in the slow cooker. Cook on LOW for 4-5 hours, or 2-3 hours on HIGH heat, or until chicken is cooked and vegetables are tender.
How to thicken Italian Chicken soup:
- Since this soup has a tomato element you can add a bit of tomato sauce or paste.
- Try adding heavy cream, sour cream, or yogurt. Just be sure to add this at the end and do not boil as it will curdle the cream.
- Add flour: In a separate bowl Mix 1 tablespoon flour with ¼ c of broth from the soup. Once smooth, incorporate it into the soup. Repeat if necessary.
- Add cornstarch: In a separate bowl mix 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of COLD water. Stir until smooth and slowly stir it into the soup. Repeat if necessary.
Like many other soups, you can change up the ingredients according to your liking:
- Substituting the chicken for sausage
- Add pasta shells
We liked the soup as is, and we think you will too because it really is so easy and tasty.
Freezer meal: Soups are famous on freezer meal menus and this one is no different. If you have a large enough pot, or use 2 pots, I would suggest doubling or tripling the recipe to have a few meals on hand. Complete steps 1-3 and simmer for only about 10 minutes. You do not want to cook the vegetables too much before freezing them or they may become mushy. Once the soup has simmered for a few minutes allow the soup to cool before pouring it into a freezer safe airtight container. Label and freeze for up to 4-6 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and heat in the crockpot or stove top.
To STORE, divide the soup into individual serving sizes and store in the fridge for 3-4 days. FREEZE leftover soup for 4 months, but be aware the vegetables may become a little mushy. Reheat the soup in the microwave or stove top.
For more yummy soup recipes, check out:
- Zuppa Toscana Soup
- Cheesy Chicken Parmesan Soup
- Minestrone Soup
- Mexican Chicken and Corn Soup
- Turkey Noodle Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
Italian Chicken and Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts cubed
- 1 cup carrots sliced
- 2 zucchini sliced
- 14.5 oz diced Italian tomatoes
- 14.5 oz chicken broth
- grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until cooked through.
- Add carrots and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in zucchini, tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 25 – 30 minutes.
- Top with Parmesan cheese and serve warm. ENJOY!