This collection of healthy soup recipes features soups that are low in calories and fat, and packed with healthy proteins and vegetables. Not only do these soups taste good, but they make you feel good too!
I have lots of favorite soup recipes. I’ve shared all the best crockpot soup recipes, as well as all of my most popular chicken soup recipes. Well, today I want to share all of my favorite healthy soup recipes!
Why is soup healthy?
Did you know that soup actually has several health benefits?? Some of the health benefits of soup include:
- It keeps you hydrated.
- Soups contain a blend of several vitamins and cover many food groups.
- It’s hearty, fills you up faster and keeps you full longer.
- This last one isn’t necessarily a scientifically nutritious fact, but a warm bowl of soup often gives comfort and increases your sense of well being. Who doesn’t want that?!
However, you have to keep in mind that not all soup is created equal: Though soup does have so many health benefits you do have to be careful because some soups aren’t as healthy as others. Cream based soups have higher calorie and fat content. Canned soups, though convenient, contain extra ingredients that don’t exactly scream healthy.
Keeping it healthy: You can quickly turn your healthy bowl of soup into an unhealthy meal by consuming calorie laden breads or indulging in sugar and fat filled desserts. Here are a few of my favorite dishes that will help keep your meal healthy:
- Serve Salads such as Arugula Salad
- Main dishes like this Skinny Chicken Piccata is delicious and healthy
- Use healthy sides such as Balsamic Brussel Sprouts
- Keep dessert simple and serve a delicious Fruit Salad with a tad bit of cream.
Healthy Soup Recipes:
All of these soups are either tomato or broth based, without cream and include healthy proteins like chicken or beef. Chicken is always fairly low in fat, as long as you use chicken breasts, but if you are using beef, make sure it is either 80% or 90% lean to keep the fat content low.
- Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup – A lighter version of chicken tortilla soup, with chicken, beans, corn, tomatoes in a flavorful broth. Cooked in the crock pot, it’s super simple to throw together!
- Italian Tortellini Soup – This soup includes tortellini, sausage, tomatoes, spinach, basil and more! Better yet, it’s ready in 30 minutes.
- Hamburger Soup – Another easy crock pot recipe, this tomato based soup is packed with vegetables and ground beef, making it hearty and filling.
- Italian Chicken and Vegetable Soup – This light soup includes lean chicken chunks and lots of healthy vegetables including zucchini, carrots, and tomatoes flavored with Italian seasonings.
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup – Everyone knows and loves this classic soup recipe with chicken, egg noodles, carrots, and celery. It’s the ultimate cure when you’re feeling under the weather.
- Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup – A twist on chicken noodle, this soup has orzo pasta, chicken, carrots, celery, and spinach, in a delicious chicken broth with just the right hint of lemon flavor.
- Stuffed Pepper Soup – This soup contains all the same ingredients as classic stuffed peppers including ground beef, tomatoes, bell peppers, and long grain rice.
Healthy Meatless Soup Recipes:
Vegetables are the main ingredient in all of these soups, which is a great way to make sure you’re getting your daily dose of veggies. Of course, you can add a protein of choice, but if you (or anyone you are feeding) has dietary restrictions, these meatless options will work perfectly.
- Cabbage Soup – Loaded with cabbage, carrots, celery, and onions, you will get all kinds of good nutrients and vitamins from this soup—and it’s extremely flavorful!
- Vegetable Soup – This soup includes potatoes, carrots, green beans, corn, tomatoes, and onion. You can also throw in any other vegetables you like!
- Butternut Squash Soup – Made from roasted butternut squash, cooked carrot and potato, with just a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg. Everything is pureed until it’s buttery smooth, and let me tell you… It’s delicious!
- Egg Drop Soup – This soup is low in calories, and packed with protein from the eggs. It’s a great side to go with Asian entrees.
- Minestrone Soup – With pasta noodles and lots of veggies, this tomato based soup is extremely filling and comforting on a cold day.
- Lentil Soup – Lentils themselves are full of protein and fiber. Combined with carrots, celery, and onions in this soup, you will love how filling and hearty this soup recipe is.