Hearty and delicious Italian Sausage Soup filled with tomatoes, carrots, zucchini, spinach and more. The recipe made on the stove is simple and great to enjoy all year long!
Easy Italian Sausage Soup
We may be mildly obsessed with soups which is why we have SO many versions here on the site. Fortunately, for us and for you, we are going to keep at it with the soup recipes because they’re just that good. They may be more popular in the colder months but we love soup all year long.
Today’s recipe for sausage soup was beyond simple and so delicious. It includes Italian sausage, beef broth, stewed tomatoes, carrots, beans, zucchini, spinach and more. The combination of ingredients makes for a very flavorful soup that is sure to be a hit with the whole family.
We may even try adding some squash and broccoli next time, but it’s great as is!
How to Make Sausage Soup
To make this soup, brown the sausage and garlic together in a stockpot on medium heat.
Stir in the broth, tomatoes and carrots and season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat, cover with the lid and simmer for about 15 minutes.
After simmering, add the beans, and zucchini pieces. Cover and simmer for an additional 15 minutes until the zucchini is tender. From there you will remove the pot from the stove, add the spinach, cover and let sit for 5 minutes. Easy peasy!
Control the spice: Italian Sausage already has seasoning mixed into the sausage. Use mild for a mellow flavor, or turn up the heat with a spicy sausage.
Adding Veggies: This a wonderful “garden” soup. Use veggies that are in season. Onions, celery, bell peppers, and potatoes are all good choices. Be aware of the size and tenderness of the veggies. Larger and firmer vegetables can be added in at the beginning. Whereas smaller and softer vegetables should be added halfway.
Top with parmesan cheese for even more flavor!
More Cooking Methods + Sides
Sausage Soup is an easy and quick meal to whip up. Making it on the stove top only takes about 30 minutes. However, you can also choose to use the Slow cooker or Instant pot.
- Slow cooker: Brown sausage and garlic and put in the crockpot. Using the same pan saute the carrots to soften them a bit. Place carrots and remaining ingredients (except the spinach) into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low setting for 5-7 hours, or High for 2-3 hours. When there is about 30 minutes left stir in the spinach. Cover and finish cooking.
- Instant pot: Set the instant pot to saute and Brown the sausage and garlic. Add remaining ingredients (except for the spinach). Put the lid on the Instant Pot. Be sure the pressure valve is set to ‘‘SEALING’’ and press the “SOUP” button. Once the soup is finished your Instant pot should automatically go to the Keep warm Setting. Allow the pressure to release before removing the lid. Stir in the spinach, then place the lid back on, but do not lock it. Allow the spinach to heat up for about 5 minutes. Remove lid and serve.
SIDE IDEAS: Here are some great recipes to serve this soup with:
How to Store
Storage: Leftover Sausage soup can be placed in an airtight container and stored in the fridge for about 5 days or use a freezable container and store in the freezer for 4-6 months. Tip: dividing the leftover soup in individual serving size containers make it easy to grab for a quick meal. Reheat in the microwave or stove top.
Freezer Meal? Storing soup in the freezer is a wonderful way to have a quick, warm and delicious meal even on busy days. Brown the sausage and garlic. Sautee the carrots until softened. Place all the ingredients, except the spinach into a large Ziploc bag. Store in the freezer for for 4-6 months. To heat: bring ingredients to boil and reduce heat. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add spinach the last 5 minutes.
For more soup recipes, check out:
- Italian Tortellini Soup
- Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Meatball Soup
- Instant Pot Beef Stew
Sausage Soup Recipe
- 1 lb Italian Sausage
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 (14 oz) cans beef broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) cans Italian style stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 (14.5 oz) cans great Northern beans, UNdrained
- 2 small zucchinis cubed
- 2 cups spinach packed, rinsed and torn
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1-2 tsp garlic salt (with parsley flakes)
- Brown the sausage along with the garlic in a stockpot on the stove.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes and carrots, then season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat, cover the pot and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the entire can of beans and zucchini cubes. Cover and simmer for another 15 minutes or until the zucchini is tender.
- Remove from the heat and add the spinach. Cover and let the soup sit for another 5 minutes. The heat in the pot will cook the spinach leaves.
- Serve and enjoy