Everything you love about lasagna (noodles, meat, and cheese), minus all the things you don’t (layering, and tons of time)! This lasagna soup is easy, filling, and beyond delicious!!
If you love lasagna, you’ll love this soup recipe. Serve it with some breadsticks and a caesar salad, and you’ve got yourself a tasty meal the whole family will love!
Lasagna in soup form
First of all, is there a soul out there who doesn’t love lasagna? Let’s be honest, my kids will eat pretty much anything with noodles in it, but lasagna especially is a favorite dish at our house.
Now picture all the tasty Italian flavors contained within a lasagna, but in SOUP form. Amazing, right?!
If you’re thinking it sounds like a dream, you’re absolutely correct. This Lasagna soup was so tasty, with the flavors of ricotta cheese and Italian sausage all mixed in with noodles and a tomato base. Not to mention, it was filling as well!
How to make it
SOUP BASE. Start off by browning the sausage in the olive oil for about 6-8 minutes. Add the seasonings and cook for 1 additional minute. Then add the tomato paste and stir. Add diced tomatoes, basil, and chicken stock, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
NOODLES. While the soup is simmering, cook the noodles according to packaged directions. Once the noodles are finished cooking, strain them and add to the soup.
CHEESE MIXTURE. In a small bowl, mix all cheese ingredients. To serve, add a small dollop of the cheese mix to the bottom of your bowl and slowly add soup.
Why do I cook the pasta separately? Technically you can cook the pasta in the soup. However, the texture of the pasta tends to become soggy/gummy. For the best results cook pasta separately to al dente. When added to the soup it will finish cooking and yield the best result.
Tips for This Recipe:
- You can use ½ ground beef or ground turkey and ½ sausage.
- Freeze leftover tomato paste for a later use.
- Sneak in some veggies: a cup of shredded carrots or zucchini
- If you want a thinner soup add more broth. If you want your soup thicker add some extra tomato paste..
- Recipe calls for ½ c fresh basil, if you only have dried basil, use ¼ c.
- Garnish with mozzarella and basil if you like!
Other cooking methods
Crockpot. You can easily make lasagna soup in the crockpot. Prepare main ingredients as directed and place in the crockpot. Cover and cook on High heat for 4-5 hours and low heat for 7-8 hours. When there is only 25-35 minutes left, add pasta that has been cooked al dente.
InstantPot. You can speed up the cook time by using an instant pot for the soup base.
- Press sauté on the Instant Pot, spray with cooking oil. Add the sausage and cook until browned, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add onion powder, garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes and cook for 1-2 minutes. Turn off the sauté mode.
- Add paste, tomatoes, basil, and chicken stock. Cover and press Pressure Cook. Cook for 15 minutes.
- While cooking prepare the cheese mixture.
- Release the pressure and carefully remove the lid. Add cooked pasta and serve.
Leftovers: Keep leftover soup in an airtight container for 3-5 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stove top. Be aware that pasta will continue to absorb the liquid in the soup and may take on a different texture.
Can I freeze lasagna soup? You can definitely freeze the base of this soup for later. Do not freeze with the cheese mixture or pasta. You can freeze the cheese and pasta in their own containers, or prepare them the night of.
Nothing like getting one of our favorite dinner recipes in soup form. If you love all the yummy flavors of lasagna, you’ll love this lasagna soup recipe. 😉 Happy Soup making!
serve lasagna soup with:
For more soup recipes, check out:
- Crock Pot Creamy Chicken Stew
- Hamburger Soup
- Italian Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Zuppa Toscana
- Cheesy Ham Chowder
- Creamy Basil Parmesan Italian Soup
- Tortellini Soup
- Hamburger Macaroni Soup
Lasagna Soup Recipe
- 1 lb Italian Sausage
- 1 TB onion powder
- 1 TB oregano
- 4 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 TB tomato paste
- 28 oz can diced roasted tomatoes
- 6 c chicken stock
- 1/2 c basil leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 16 oz bowtie pasta
- 8 oz ricotta
- 1/2 c parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1 c mozzarella as garnish
- Brown sausage in olive oil for 6-8 minutes. Add onion powder, garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and stir.
- Add diced tomatoes, basil, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles according to packaged directions.
- In a small bowl mix all cheese ingredients.
- When noodles are done cooking, strain and add to the soup.
- To serve, add a small dollop of the cheese mix to the bottom of your bowl and slowly add soup. Garnish with mozzarella and basil.
Lasagna without all the prep! Brilliant recipe!
See More Comments