Deliciously hearty Tomato Tortellini Soup is cheesy, hearty and SO warm and delicious. Everyone loves this soup!
Fancy Tortellini Soup
As a child, one of the things I hated most was tomatoes. I never really understood why because I LOVED ketchup, but I’m happy to report I’ve grown out of this and currently love tomatoes. In fact, I’m realizing now just how much flavor I was missing out on as a kid because I love tomatoes with everything these days!
One of my favorite recipes with tomatoes is Tomato Basil Soup. Pair it with a delicious grilled cheese, and I feel like I’m in heaven… seriously! I saw a recipe for Tomato Tortellini Soup and knew that adding tortellini was just genius! I had to give it a go and boy am I glad we tried this recently.
The soup was flavorful, simple and everything I expected it would be. It actually tasted like something you would get at a nice restaurant because it not only tasted like amazing tomato soup, but it had cheese tortellini and cheese on top too!!
How To make tomato tortellini soup
PASTA. Cook tortellini according to package directions.
SAUCE. While tortellini is cooking combine soup, broth, milk, half and half, tomatoes and seasonings in a large pot. Heat through.
COMBINE + SERVE. Drain tortellini and add to soup. Stir in ½ cup shredded cheese. Serve warm and sprinkle remaining cheese on top. ENJOY!
Variations + Storing Info
As always I share the recipe exactly how I made it and thought it to be delicious. However, I know that it can be fun to make little adjustments to even our most favorite recipes. Here are a few that you might like to try:
- Add browned Italian sausage or ground beef
- Adjust the amount of basil to taste
- Add sauteed onions
- Add baby spinach
- Use heavy cream or add greek yogurt for a creamier texture
- Use sausage or spinach tortellini
STORE leftover soup in the fridge for 2-3 days. For best results reheat on the stove, but you can also use the microwave.
FREEZING: Due to the pasta and cream in this soup I don’t recommend using this as a make ahead meal. However, if you have leftovers you can freeze it. Just note that the tortellini may take on a different texture. Also, you will need to reheat the soup slowly on medium low heat so that the cream can incorporate better. Feel free to add more half and half or milk to help smooth out the texture.
For more Tortellini recipes:
- Cheesy Garlic Tortellini Pasta
- Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Crockpot Tortellini Spinach Soup
- Tortellini Sausage Soup
- Steak and Tortellini Salad
Tomato Tortellini Soup Recipe
- 20 oz cheese tortellini
- 21 oz tomato soup
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups milk (2% or whole)
- 2 cups half and half
- ½ cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese divided
- Cook tortellini according to package directions.
- While tortellini is cooking combine soup, broth, milk, half and half, tomatoes and seasonings in a large pot. Heat through.
- Drain tortellini and add to soup. Stir in ½ cup shredded cheese.
- Serve warm and add addition cheese on top. ENJOY!