A family favorite – Steak and Tortellini Salad is hearty and refreshing. Tortellini, sirloin & romaine in a creamy pesto dressing is a must-have!
This steak and tortellini salad is filling and so yummy. It’s always a big hit, and is perfect for any BBQ or potluck alongside some other favorite salads like: Broccoli Salad, Potato Salad, or our classic Tortellini Salad.
A salad or dinner!
I love cool foods during the hot months and am especially obsessed with salads during the summer. They are just so stinking good and I could eat them all day long!
A family favorite is today’s recipe for Steak and Tortellini salad, and if you love both steak and tortellini, you’ll love this recipe too.
This salad is more hearty, and it’s also full of flavor and topped with an amazing pesto dressing. In fact, we’ve had this for dinner a few times too just because it’s so filling and delicious.
how to make it
STEAK. Set meat in your favorite marinade overnight. You can use steak, or any type of meat. We used top sirloin as it is less expensive and tastes great after a night of marinating (it’s also great for any leftover steak from a previous meal).
Cut and grill your sirloin to desired doneness. Slice up meat in small pieces and set aside.
PASTA. Cook tortellini according to package directions.
MIX & ENJOY! Mix all dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Add tortellini to salad. Top with steak and dressing (right before serving).
Steak Grilling Tips
Thankfully, I have a husband who loves to fire up the grill and I happily let him. If you are at my skill level here are a few tips to help you out:
- Allow the steaks to come to room temperature before putting them on the grill and then let the meat rest after taking it off the grill. The steak will continue to cook a bit and the juices will distribute.
- Thick Steak: For steaks that are 1.5” or thicker, use a thermometer. Start by charring them over High heat then moving them to a section set to low heat to finish cooking. Internal temps should be 120°F for rare, 130°F for medium rare, 140°F for medium.
- Thinner Steak 1” or less: Use a timer and cook over high heat. The internal temps will be that same as above. Rare: cook about 3 minutes each side. Medium Rare: cook about 4 minutes each side. Medium: cook about 5 minutes each side.
We love this salad paired with the pesto dressing included in the recipe. It is sooo good!
STORE the components of the salad 1-2 days ahead of time. Keep them stored separately until you’re ready to assemble the salad.
STORE leftover salad in an airtight container in the fridge for 1-2 days.
Favorite Tortellini Recipes:
- Spinach and Tortellini Salad
- Cheesy Baked Tortellini
- Sausage Tortellini Soup
- Easy Tortellini Salad
- Tomato Tortellini Soup
- Crock Pot Spinach Tortellini Soup
Steak and Tortellini Salad Recipe
- 1 package Tortellini
- 4 lbs Top sirloin or your favorite meat
- Romaine Lettuce chopped
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp pesto (adjust for taste)
- Set meat in your favorite marinade overnight. You can use steak, or any type of meat. We used top sirloin as it is less expensive and tastes great after a night of marinating.
- Cook tortellini according to package directions.
- Cut and grill your sirloin to desired doneness. Slice up meat in small pieces and set aside.
- Mix all dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Add tortellini to salad. Top with steak and dressing. So delicious!
Recipe from Tastes Better from Scratch