As a child, one of the things I hated most was tomatoes. I never really understood why because I LOVED ketchup, but I’m happy to report I’ve grown out of this and currently love tomatoes. In fact, I’m realizing now just how much flavor I was missing out on as a kid because I love tomatoes with everything these days!
One of my favorite recipes with tomatoes is Tomato Basil Soup. Pair it with a delicious grilled cheese, and I feel like I’m in heaven… seriously! I saw a recipe for Tomato Tortellini Soup and knew that adding tortellini was just genius! I had to give it a go and boy am I glad we tried this recently. The soup was flavorful, simple and everything I expected it would be. It actually tasted like something you would get at a nice restaurant because it not only tasted like amazing tomato soup, but it had cheese tortellini and cheese on top too!!
Like most soup recipes, this version was easy and didn’t take too long to make. It just requires cooking up the tortellini and then the soup and combining the two. In fact, I think this would be great in the slow cooker. I’d add all the soup ingredients and cook for 2 hours on high, add the tortellini and cook that for the last two hours. I’ll give it a go next time we make it and let you know how it goes. In the meantime, I hope you try this recipe and let us know what you think about it. 😉
Tomato Tortellini Soup:
Tomato Tortellini Soup Recipe
- 20 oz cheese tortellini
- 21 oz tomato soup
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups milk (2% or whole)
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese divided
- Cook tortellini according to package directions.
- While tortellini is cooking combine soup, broth, milk, half and half, tomatoes and seasonings in a large pot. Heat through.
- Drain tortellini and add to soup. Stir in ½ cup shredded cheese.
- Serve warm and add addition cheese on top. ENJOY!