Croque Monsieur is not your typical ham and cheese sandwich! It has a dijon mustard spread, an egg coating, and is baked or fried into a hot and melty dish.
What is Croque Monsieur?
Have you ever tried a Croque Monsieur? If not, you may be wondering what it is! It’s a baked or fried ham and cheese sandwich. Sound different? Well, it is, but it’s also very delicious.
It’s savory and melty on the inside, with a golden crispy outside.
How to Make Croque Monsieur
These sandwiches take a little more work than grilled cheese, but are still just as easy!
Mix mayo and mustard together in a small bowl. Spread onto 4 bread slices. Add cheese and ham to each bread slice. Place the other slice of bread on top of the ham.
Meanwhile, whisk eggs and milk in a pie plate until well blended.
Place butter in a skillet and melt.
Dip each sandwich in egg mixture (make sure all sides are coated), then place in buttered pan. Fry until golden brown on both sides (a few minutes on each side).
Serve with a soup or salad such as:
Leftovers: Store leftovers in a Ziploc or wrap in tin foil. Keep them in the fridge for a few days. Reheat in the oven, toaster oven, skillet, or if you’re in a hurry, the microwave.
Mr. & Mrs.: Croque means “crunch” and Monsieur means “mister”. In other words this is a “Mister Crunch” sandwich. You may be thinking, “If there is a Mister can there be a Misses?” I’m glad you asked!
The female counterpart of this sandwich is called a Croque Madame. You make the sandwich the same way except you add a sunny side up egg on top. This is because the added egg resembles a woman’s hat. How fun is that!
Some other easy variations: Aside from turning this sandwich into a croque madame by adding a simple egg you can switch up with other ingredients as well.
- Gruyere cheese is often used
- Sprinkle the top with herbes de Provence or thyme
- Bread: French bread, sourdough, or any brioche-like bread
- Mini sandwiches can be made with baguette bread
For more sandwich recipes, check out:
- French Dip Sandwich
- Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese
- Veggie Panini
- Mini Avocado Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Ham and Cheese Sliders
Croque Monsieur Recipe
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 8 slices firm white bread
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 8 slices deli ham
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- Mix mayo and mustard together in a small bowl. Spread onto 4 bread slices. Add cheese and ham to each bread slice. Place the other slice of bread on top of the ham.
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs and milk in a pie plate until well blended.
- Place butter in a skillet and melt.
- Dip each sandwich in egg mixture (make sure all sides are coated), then place in buttered pan. Fry until golden brown on both sides (a few minutes on each side).