Of all the tomato soups out there, this rich and creamy Tomato Basil Soup is at the top of my list! With garlic, basil, and other delicious seasonings, this soup has a bold flavor that you’ll quickly fall in love with.
easy, creamy tomato soup
I used to hate tomatoes. I thought they were so gross, and I’d pick them off of everything, with the exception of ketchup and tomato soup – and even then, I would only eat it if I was dipping my grilled cheese sandwich in it. Fortunately, I’ve become a big girl now and will eat tomato soup (especially tomato basil soup) without a sandwich or crackers. 😉
It wasn’t too long ago that a friend of mine shared with me a delicious recipe for Creamy Tomato Basil Soup. It was, by far, the best tomato soup I had ever tried! I’m also a huge fan of basil, which I think made the soup so flavorful that it had me going back for seconds.
When I made it for my family, they all agreed it was the best tomato soup! Even my picky eaters finished their bowls. 😉
How to make tomato basil soup
COOK. In a large pot over medium heat, add garlic and stir until fragrant. Add drained, diced tomatoes, basil and thyme. Cook for 10 minutes. Add reserved tomato liquid and chicken broth. Stir and lower heat to medium-low. Cook, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
PUREE. Season with salt and pepper to taste. In small batches, puree chunky soup in a blender until it’s the consistency you’d like.
ADD. Stir in heavy cream and mix well. Add any more salt and pepper and garnish with croutons, basil and Parmesan cheese.
How do I thicken tomato basil soup? There are several easy ways to thicken your soup. You can try adding any of the following:
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy cream
- more pureed tomatoes
- flour: in a separate bowl mix 1 Tablespoon of flour to ½ c of soup. Whisk until smooth and return to pot of soup
- cornstarch: in a separate bowl mix 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 1 tablespoon cold water. Whisk until smooth and add to the soup.
The steps are the same as the stove top recipe—you’ll just have to adjust the cook time. Sauté garlic in a pan over medium heat and stir until fragrant. Add in the drained, diced tomatoes, basil and thyme. Cook for 10 minutes. Transfer to a crock pot and add remaining ingredients, except for the heavy cream, garlic salt and pepper.
Cover and cook on low heat for 6-7 hours or high heat for 2-3 hours. Once cooked you can reach the consistency you desire by pureeing the tomatoes in small batches. Add heavy cream, garlic salt and pepper. Stir until creamy. Serve.
how to store + Freeze
A great freezer meal – you can easily freeze this soup to save for later. Follow the recipe, except do not add the heavy cream. Once the cooked soup has cooled, transfer it into an airtight freezer safe container. Freeze for 4-6 months.
When you’re ready to use it thaw in the fridge. Place soup in a pot on the stove top and heat over medium heat. Once hot, but not boiling, add heavy cream and stir until smooth.
How to store and reheat leftovers: Refrigerate leftover tomato basil soup in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Slowly reheat in a saucepan stirring consistently. If you’re in a hurry you can microwave single serving in 30 second increments until hot.
I’m seriously wishing I had a bowl of this with a grilled cheese sandwich right now – total comfort food!! 🙂
For more creamy soups, check out:
Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
- 4 tsp minced garlic
- 28 oz diced tomatoes drained (reserve the liquid)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp basil puree or fresh basil chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup reserved tomato liquid from can
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- garlic salt (with parsley flakes) to taste
- fresh parmesan cheese optional
- In a large pot over medium heat, add garlic and stir until fragrant.
- Add drained, diced tomatoes, basil and thyme. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add reserved tomato liquid and chicken broth. Stir and lower heat to medium-low. Cook, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. In small batches, puree chunky soup in a blender until it's the consistency you'd like. Stir in heavy cream and mix well.
- Add any more salt and pepper and garnish with croutons, basil and Parmesan cheese. ENJOY!