The Jolly Holiday Combo is a favorite meal at the Happiest Place on Earth. It’s a tasty, grilled cheese sandwich served with creamy tomato basil soup – comfort food at it’s finest at Disneyland!
Jolly Holiday Combo Recipe
One of our all-time favorite meals to get at Disneyland is the Jolly Holiday Combo!
It’s a delicious grilled cheese sandwich served with warm tomato basil soup. It is SOOOO good and is just one of the many comfort foods you can find at the park. The soup is beyond flavorful and the grilled cheese is simple but perfect for dipping in the soup. Definitely a MUST-GET at the Jolly Holiday Cafe.
We have our classic Tomato Basil Soup recipe that is very similar, but we made just a few minor changes and included the toasted sandwich in today’s recipe. Whether it’s winter or summer, you may find yourself craving this delicious meal.
How to Make Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup
Let’s start with the soup!!
Saute the garlic in a large pot over medium heat until fragrant. Add the tomatoes, basil, thyme and onion powder to the pot. (not the tomato liquid). Stir and cook for 10 minutes.
Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the chicken broth and the tomato liquid. Stir and allow to cook, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add garlic salt and pepper to taste. Working in small batches add the soup to a blender. Blend the chunky mixture until it is smooth and creamy. Pour into a large serving bowl. Repeat with the remaining soup until it has all been blended and added to a serving bowl.
Stir the heavy cream into the blended mixture. Mix until well combined. Taste, if needed, and add more garlic salt and pepper. Garnish with croutons, basil and Parmesan Cheese.
Texture: If you find that your soup is too thick simply add more broth, tomato liquid or water. If you soup is too thin there are several options you can choose from:
- TOO THICK
- Add 1-2 tablespoons more cream
- Add a little more pureed tomatoes
- TOO THIN
- Use flour: in a separate bowl mix 1 Tablespoon of flour to ½ c of soup. Whisk until smooth and return to pot of soup
- Use cornstarch: in a separate bowl mix 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 1 tablespoon cold water. Whisk until smooth and add to the soup.
Use roasted tomatoes: If you want to go the extra mile replace the half of the diced tomatoes with homemade roasted ones. They add a delicious layer that complements the other ingredients. To roast:
- 1.5-2 lbs tomatoes (not cherry), ¾ tbsp olive oil, ¼ tbsp balsamic vinegar, ½-1 clove minced garlic, ¼ tsp dry basil, and 1-2 tbsp shredded parmesan (optional)
- Wash and dry the tomatoes. Slice the tomatoes in half. Toss them with the oil, vinegar, garlic and basil. Arrange the tomatoes, cut side facing up, onto a baking tray.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese (optional)
- Bake at 450° for 15-30 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft, but not mushy.
- To use in soup: Place the tomatoes into a blender to chop slightly. Add 14 oz of the roasted tomatoes to the soup along with 14 oz of canned diced tomatoes.
MAKE AHEAD MEAL: Tomato soup freezes well. This means you can easily make it ahead of time to eat later. Follow the recipe, except do not add the heavy cream. Allow the soup to cool before placing it in an airtight freezer safe container. Label and freeze for 4-6 months. You can also freeze leftovers, but due to the crem the texture may be altered when reheated.
You can also store the soup in the fridge. Whether you made it ahead of time, or want to enjoy your leftovers simply place the soup into an airtight container and keep it in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Leftover tip: Divide the soup into individual serving size containers to store. Simply grab a portion from the fridge or freezer to warm up for yourself.
REHEATING: Thaw if frozen. Place soup in a pot on the stove top and heat over medium heat.
- If the soup was made ahead and foren: Once hot, but not boiling, add heavy cream and stir until smooth.
- If the soup was frozen as a leftover: heat the soup up over LOW heat stirring to help the cream and soup mixture incorporate smoothly.
You can also use the microwave to reheat the soup if you’re in a hurry or on the go. Heat in 30 second increments, stirring in between. until nice and warm.
Making the Grilled Cheese
This is the easiest part and based on how you like to do it best. We have our classic Grilled Cheese Sandwich recipe, which is our go-to. Simple… few ingredients and takes just a few minutes to make. We also have our Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich which has 3 cheeses and is a little more decadent.
For simplicity’s sake, we will just make the classic version. All you need is bread, cheddar cheese, Provolone cheese, butter and garlic salt.
Add one of each kind of cheese to a slice of bread. Butter each side and sprinkle with garlic salt before cooking up. Serve it warm with the soup and fall in love, because we guarantee you will. 😉
more Disney Soups and Sandwiches:
For more Disney Recipes:
- Hand Dipped Corn Dogs
- Sweet and Tangy Coleslaw
- Apple Pie Caramel Apples
- Safari Skewers
- Apple Pie Caramel Apples
- Churro Toffee
Grilled Cheese and Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
- 4 tsp minced garlic minced
- 28 oz diced tomatoes drained, but reserve the liquid
- 1/2 tsp thyme dried
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp basil puree or fresh chopped basil
- 2 c chicken broth
- 1 c reserved tomato liquid from the can
- 1/3 c heavy whipping cream
- garlic salt and pepper to taste to taste
- Parmesan Cheese optional
- Saute the garlic in a large pot over medium heat until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, basil, thyme and onion powder to the pot. (not the tomato liquid). Stir and cook for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the chicken broth and the tomato liquid. Stir and allow to cook, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add garlic salt and pepper to taste. Working in small batches add the soup to a blender. Blend the chunky mixture until it is smooth and creamy. Pour into a large serving bowl. Repeat with the remaining soup until it has all been blended and added to a serving bowl.
- Stir the heavy cream into the blended mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Taste, if needed, and add more garlic salt and pepper. Garnish with croutons, basil and Parmesan Cheese.