Thick slices of artisan bread oozing with three different cheeses make up this Ultimate Grilled Cheese sandwich—inspired by Disneyland’s Toy Story Land Grilled Cheese!
three cheese Grilled Cheese – disney copycat
This is one of the delicious things we found at Disney’s Hollywood Studios when we were in Florida. You can get it in Toy Story Land at a place called Woody’s Lunch Box. I know grilled cheese might sound like “kid food”, but I assure you kids and adults alike LOVE this ultimate grilled cheese sandwich.
It’s made with THREE different kinds of cheeses, including a smooth cream cheese spread, and the outside of the bread is smothered in a flavorful garlic spread before cooking. I’m drooling just thinking about it!! We love our classic grilled cheese sandwich, but today’s recipe is a copycat from Disney and in our mind is the ULTIMATE grilled cheese!!
Starting with all the right ingredients is key for making sure your ultimate grilled cheese sandwich turns out amazing. Let’s break it down:
BREAD. When making this recipe, choose an artisan bread that is or can be cut into the size and thickness you are looking for to make this delicious grilled cheese sandwich. Bread that is on the drier side, or a couple of days old, works great for grilled cheese. The lower moisture level allows the bread to brown better.
CHEESE. This recipe uses two kinds of sliced cheese—cheddar and provolone. You can always substitute another type of sliced cheese that you prefer. Just make sure it’s one that will melt well.
- Sharp cheddar
- Monterrey Jack
How to make the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich
Once you have the right ingredients, be sure to assemble and cook them properly.
CREAM CHEESE SPREAD. Using a food processor or blender, mix together the cream cheese, cheese, cream and salt. Once smooth, set aside.
GARLIC SPREAD. In a separate bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, garlic and salt. Set aside.
ASSEMBLE. Using a cutting board or piece of parchment paper, lay out the 8 slices of artisan bread. Place 1 piece of cheddar cheese on 4 of the bread slices. On the opposite slices place a piece of provolone. Divide the Cream Cheese mixture equally over the slice of bread with the provolone and smooth the mixture evenly over the bread. Top each of them with the opposite slice of bread containing the cheddar cheese.
COOK. Heat a large skillet or electric griddle, until hot, about 5 minutes. While the skillet is heating, brush the outside of each sandwich with the garlic spread. Place the sandwiches on the skillet and heat until the cheese has melted and the bread is golden, about 2 minutes on each side.
Using a heavy bottomed pan or an electric griddle really helps the sandwich cook and brown evenly. Some people like to use a panini press for their grilled cheese, but because this particular recipe is filled with delicious sauces and cheese, a heavy panini press would only cause it to ooze out of the sandwich.
Be sure that you don’t go above medium heat. You don’t want the bread to burn before the inside has melted.
We love to make this with our Tomato Basil Soup recipe – so good!
Storing & Reheating
LEFTOVERS: It’s hard to believe you might have leftovers of this ultimate grilled cheese, but if you do, wrap the cooled leftover sandwiches in aluminum foil. They can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days. You can also freeze leftover sandwiches. Wrap each sandwich with plastic wrap then again with foil. Freeze for 1-2 months.
TO REHEAT: Reheating leftover grilled cheese on the stove top works the best. You can also use a toaster oven, or a microwave if you’re in a hurry.
- Stove top: Heat up a heavy bottomed pan. If the sandwich is frozen then only use low heat, otherwise use medium heat. Place the sandwich in the pan. Cover the pan with the lid, but be sure to place it on there crooked so that the steam doesn’t build up. Heat both sides of the sandwich until warm and the cheese is melty.
For More Disney Recipes, try:
- Hand Dipped Corn Dogs
- Sweet and Tangy Coleslaw
- Apple Pie Caramel Apples
- Safari Skewers
- Mint Julep
- Grey Stuff
Ultimate Grilled Cheese Recipe
Cream Cheese Spread
- 1/2 c cream cheese
- 1/2 c shredded Double Gloucester or Cheddar
- 2 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 tsp coarse Salt
- 1 c mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 8 slices artisan bread
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 slices provolone cheese
Cream Cheese Spread
- Using a food processor or blender, mix together the cream cheese, cheese, cream and salt. Once smooth, set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, garlic and salt. Set aside.
Assemble and Cook:
- Using a cutting board or piece of parchment paper, lay out the 8 slices of artisan bread.
- Place 1 piece of cheddar cheese on 4 of the bread slices. On the opposite slices place a piece of provolone.
- Divide the Cream Cheese mixture equally over the slice of bread with the provolone and smooth the mixture evenly over the bread. Top each of them with the opposite slice of bread containing the cheddar cheese.
- Heat a large skillet or electric griddle, until hot, about 5 minutes.
- While the skillet is heating, brush the outside of each sandwich with the garlic spread.
- Place the sandwiches on the skillet and heat until the cheese has melted and the bread is golden, about 2 minutes on each side.