Disneyland’s Copycat Mint Julep recipe – a non-alcoholic drink that is refreshing and DELICIOUS!! Made with lemonade concentrate, creme de menthe syrup, lime juice, sugar, and club soda – topped with mint leaves and cherries!
Disneyland’s mint julep recipe
You guys know that I’m slightly obsessed with the Happiest Place on Earth! What can I say? I feel like all our worries melt away when we’re there and we can just focus on having fun with the family. It’s the best feeling in the world. 😀
Not only do we love the rides and atmosphere, but we also love the food there. In fact, I feel like we eat our way through the park every time we go. There are just so many restaurants and foods to try, and we probably haven’t even scratched the surface there. From the churros to Monte Cristo sandwiches, we have so many favorite recipes, but one of my hubby’s favorites is the Mint Juleps that can be found in New Orleans Square at Disneyland.
The Mint Julep is the hubby’s favorite sweet indulgence at the park, so he was STOKED when I told him I’d be trying a copycat recipe for the drink. I’d only steal a sip or two when he’d get the Mint Julep, so I wasn’t exactly sure how the recipe turned out but fortunately, he gave me a BIG thumbs up. He said it tasted just like it! In fact, he liked it so much he made sure we had plenty of syrup left so he could share it with some friends that were coming over for dinner the next day. 😉
Mint Julep Ingredients
Although, there are a few ingredients in this drink, it still takes just minutes to throw together. This is what you’ll need to make this delicious drink…
- club soda
- lime juice
- lemonade concentrate
- creme de menthe syrup
- green food coloring
- for garnish – mint leaves, lemon, cherries
We don’t always have these ingredients on hand, especially the club soda, syrup and mint leaves, but when we are making this for special occasions, they aren’t too hard to find and get because this is definitely a drink that impresses and people love. 😉
How to Make a Mint Julep
Once you have the ingredients, this drink is easy to make. You’ll begin by heating the club soda on medium heat and dissolving the sugar in it. Then, add the lime juice and lemonade concentrate and bring to a boil. From there, add the creme de menthe syrup and food coloring.
This mixture becomes the “concentrate”. You will mix it with water – 3 parts syrup to 5 parts water. So, if you use the whole mixture, you will add about 5 cups water for it to be the amount of flavor you want. If you only use 1.5 cups of the syrup, you will only add 2.5 cups water. 😉
I love that these copycat recipes can bring a little bit of Disney (and the magic) in my own home!! If you love the Mint Juleps as well, then you’ll love this recipe!
Creme de Menthe
To keep this drink alcohol free be sure that your creme de menthe is also alcohol free. You’ll need to buy the Creme de menthe syrup/cordial not the creme de menthe liquor. Also, it is fairly potent so don’t use too much or the mint will overpower the other blend of ingredients.
- Make your own creme de menthe syrup. Add 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar to a small pot. Over medium heat stir until dissolved and allow the mixture to come to a boil. Once boiling remove from the heat and let it completely cool. Then add 1 tsp peppermint extract.
- Alternative ingredient is to use muddled sweet mint leaves instead of creme de menthe syrup. You’ll need about 5 mint leaves per cup of liquid (about 30 mint leaves for this recipe). Place 5-6 the mint leaves at a time in a sturdy glass bowl and add a couple drops of water. Use a muddler, or the rounded handle of a wooden spoon to gently crush the mint leaves against the side of the glass container. You should be able to smell leaves as they release their minty aroma. Repeat with all the leaves. Place the broken mint leaves directly into the Julep mixture, stir and taste. Add more muddled mint leaves as desired to increase the mint flavor. You can either leave the mint leaves in the beverage pitcher, or you can strain them out.
And for more great Disney copycat recipes, check out:
- Hand-Dipped Corn Dogs
- “Grey Stuff” recipe
- Dole Whips
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Skewers
- Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Baked Potato Soup
Mint Julep Recipe (Non-Alcoholic)
Disneyland's Copycat Mint Julep recipe - a non-alcoholic drink that is refreshing and DELICIOUS!! Made with lemonade concentrate, creme de menthe syrup, lime juice, sugar, and club soda - topped with mint leaves and cherries!
- 3 cup club soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tsp lime juice
- 6 oz thawed lemonade concentrate
- 6 tbsp creme de menthe syrup
- green food coloring
- mint leaves for garnish
- lemon for garnish
- cherries for garnish
In a medium pot, dissolve sugar in club soda by stirring constantly on medium heat. Add lime juice and lemonade concentrate and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add creme de menthe syrup and food coloring. Chill.
Use this mixture as syrup - 3 parts syrup to 5 parts water. Makes about ⅔ gallon. ENJOY!
Recipe from Disney Food Blog.