Shirley Temple drink is perfect for year round enjoyment! It’s sweetness and pretty red color make it a great party drink.
A Shirley Temple is a non-alcoholic mixed drink traditionally made with ginger ale and a splash of grenadine, garnished with a maraschino cherry. It is completely appropriate for kids, but also a great option for adults. For more delish drinks try Copycat Orange Julius, Mint Julep (non-alcoholic), and Copycat Sonic Cherry Limeade.
A Drink for Kids and Adults Alike!
These perfectly festive drink can be enjoyed by both kids and adults! It is free from both caffeine and alcohol, making it a go-to for all ages.
A main ingredient, and the reason for it’s fun color is grenadine. Grenadine is a commonly used, non-alcoholic bar syrup, characterized by a flavor that is both tart and sweet, and by a deep red color. It is traditionally made from pomegranate.
I always felt so fancy as a kid when I would have a Shirley Temple. The cherry and classic skinny red straw just felt so grown up. Can I be honest? I still love it!! There is just something so nostalgic and fun that I will never grow out of!
What is a Dirty Shirley? Taking a regular shirley temple and adding your choice of liquor makes it a “Dirty Shirley”
What is a Roy Rogers? You prepare the drink the same as a shirley temple, but you use a carbonated cola drink such as Coke or Cherry Coke instead of Ginger Ale.
How to make a shirley temple
MIX ingredients into single glass, including ice.
GARNISH. Add a cherry or two for garnish.
To Make an Individual Serving:
- 1 cup 7UP/Sprite
- 2-3 tbsp grenadine syrup
- Maraschino cherries, for garnish
Have some fun presenting this drink.
- You can use cocktail glasses like pina colada glasses or hurricane glasses. Of course since children are often drinking this you may want to opt for clear plastic drink cups.
- You can simply place the cherry on top of the drink, but you can also put 2-3 on a little wooden skewer.
- Add pieces of chewy candy to a wooden skewer: gum drops, gummy ribbons, sour gummies and more. Be sure that when you put the skewer in the drink that it is long enough to hold the candies out of the liquid.
Leftovers: If you have leftover drink mix you can store it in a few ways:
- Simply place the mixture in the fridge to be used later. The carbonation will decrease over time, but you can add a little soda so revive it a bit
- Pour the mixture into a popsicle mold (add a cherry or two as well) and freeze it
- Make a Shirley Temple Slushy: Place the mixture in a freezer safe container. Freeze until it starts to solidify then use a spoon to mix it. Put it back into the freezer and mix it up every 30 minutes until it reaches a slushy consistency.
For more delicious drinks, try:
- Pineapple Lemonade Soda
- Copycat Cherry Limeade
- Mint Julep (non alcoholic)
- Sonic Ocean Water
- Magic Potion Drink
- Homemade Lemonade
More Collections: Non Alcoholic Drink Recipes
Shirley Temple Recipe
- 1 (2-liter) bottle Sprite or 7UP
- 1⅓ cup grenadine syrup
- maraschino cherries for garnish
- Add the Sprite to a punch bowl or beverage dispenser.
- Mix in the grenadine syrup. Add Ice.
- You can mix a few cherries directly into the punch and/or have them in a separate bowl to add after pouring the drink into a glass.
A favorite drink amongst the grandkids. So festive and yummy!
Perfect for the holidays! I didn’t realize until now that I could make a kid/mocktail version that’s just as tasty too. Thank you!
This is such a fun & tasty drink!! It will be great for the holidays & my kids thank you!
I love the taste of this!! We love making kid-friendly drinks & this is a party favorite!
This looks so delicious and refreshing! I can’t wait to make this for my kids! They are going to love this!
Such an easy and amazing drink that everyone loves! 🙂 You can never go wrong serving these at get-togethers, or something nice for a more elegant dinner.
This is one of our go to fun drinks. The kids love it and ask for it often!
My kids love Shirley temples so it was fun to make them for a drink with our special dinner!
This was a party favorite. So simple and easy to make and everyone’s favorite. Will be making more for Christmas. Nice vibrant color as well. Thank you LilLuna for all these amazing recipes.
What a fun drink to serve kids at a party. I think it would be really neat to serve in disposable cocktail glasses.