I’m not sure if I have shared this before or not, but I used to hate tomatoes. I used to think they were so gross, and I’d pick them off of everything. Pretty pathetic, I know, but now I LOVE them!! It wasn’t until about 12 or so years ago that I started really liking them and now I have them with EVERYTHING! The two exceptions I used to make with tomatoes when I was younger was ketchup and tomato soup – and even then I would only eat if I was dipping my grilled cheese sandwich in it. Fortunately, I’ve become a big girl now and will eat tomato soup (especially tomato basil soup) without a sandwich or crackers. 😉
It wasn’t too long ago that a friend of mine, in Texas, shared with me a delicious recipe for Creamy Tomato Basil Soup. It was, by far, the best Tomato Soup I had ever tried! I’m also a huge fan of basil which I think made the soup so flavorful that it had me going back for seconds. When I made the recipe last month, the family agreed that it was amazing and that it will now be our “go-to” recipe for Tomato Soup. I really don’t blame them because it is SO good.
I’m seriously wishing I had a bowl of this with a grilled cheese sandwich right now – total comfort food!! 🙂
For more creamy soups, check out:
How to make Tomato Basil Soup:
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 - 28 oz. cans diced tomatoes, drained (reserve the liquid)
- 2 TB basil puree or fresh basil (chopped)
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup reserved tomato liquid from cand
- ½ cup heavy cream
- garlic salt (to taste)
- fresh Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a large pot over medium heat, add garlic and stir until fragrant.
- Add drained, diced tomatoes, basil and thyme. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add reserved tomato liquid and chicken broth. Stir and lower heat to medium-low. Cook, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. In small batches, puree chunky soup in a blender until it's the consistency you'd like. Stir in heavy cream and mix well.
- Add any more salt and pepper and garnish with croutons, basil and Parmesan cheese. ENJOY!