This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This classic Italian Wedding soup is hearty and comes together quickly, and is filled with mini meatballs, carrots, Escarole, orzo and more. It is easy to put together for a perfect weeknight meal!
This tasty soup comes together with a handful of ingredients and is ready in just about 30 min, making this a go to in my home. For more soup goodness try Chicken Dumpling Soup, Slow Cooker Beef Stew, and Cabbage Soup.
We’re ALL ABOUT soups in this family. There’s just nothing like a big bowl of something warm to fill those hungry bellies. Soups are easy to put together, don’t take much time, and often use ingredients you already have on hand!
This Italian Wedding Soup is always a favorite. Though this can certainly be served at weddings and other functions, the reason for its name is because “wedding” refers to the marriage of flavors in the soup.
And let me tell you, the flavors are delish! It is hearty and cozy. It’s the perfect way to warm up on a cold night, or just a hearty and easy weeknight dinner.
Pasta: We used orzo pasta, but you can also use acini de pepe pasta, ditalini, stellini, tubetti pasta. For low carb, you can even use cauliflower rice.
Vegetables: We like to use escarole, but spinach, kale or endive are good alternatives. We also keep it simple by adding carrots, but you can easily use other veggies like zucchini and celery.
Beef: For extra flavor, use ½ ground beef and ½ ground pork. You can also choose to use ground chicken or turkey. You can make the meatballs up to 2 days ahead of time and store them in the fridge or you can freeze them for up to 3 months. All you have to do is quickly whip up the soup and add the already prepared meatballs.
How to Make Italian Wedding Soup
FORM MEATBALLS. Use a medium bowl and combine meat, egg, bread crumbs, cheese, basil and onion powder. Scoop and shape the mixture into 3/4 inch balls (makes about 32-36 small meatballs).
BROWN. Add a bit of olive oil to a large skillet. Once hot add the meatballs and cook until no longer pink.
SAUTE. Add 1 tsp to a large sauce pan and heat. Saute the carrots in the olive oil for about 5 minutes. Add minced garlic and cook until fragrant. Add broths and bring to a boil. Stir in escarole and orzo pasta. Return to boil, then reduce heat to low-medium. Add meatballs.
BOIL & SEASON. Cook at a slow boil for 10 minutes. Season with garlic salt and Italian seasoning to taste.
Slow cooker: You can also make this soup in the crock pot just cook your meatballs as directed in the recipe. Add the meatballs and other ingredients, except for the escarole and orzo, to the crockpot. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.. Add the escarole and pasta during the last 20-30 minutes.
Sides and Storing
Pair Italian Wedding Soup with any of the following recipes:
- Italian bread
- Olive Garden Breadsticks
- Italian Cookies
- Caesar Salad and Homemade Dressing
- Grilled Cheese
Leftovers: Refrigerate in an airtight container for 3-4 days or freeze for 3-4 months. Be aware that the pasta will continue to absorb liquid causing the texture to change. Thaw a little before reheating on the stove. Add more broth if you desire. If you’re in a hurry you can reheat in the microwave.
For more soup recipes, try:
Easy Italian Wedding Soup Recipe
- 1/2 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2-3 teaspoons olive oil divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots about 2 medium size carrots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 cups escarole thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta uncooked
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- garlic salt (with parsley flakes)
- Use a medium bowl and combine meat, egg, bread crumbs, cheese, basil, and onion powder. Scoop and shape the mixture into 3/4 inch balls (makes about 32-36 small meatballs).
- Add a bit of olive oil to a large skillet. Once hot add the meatballs and cook until no longer pink.
- Add 1 teaspoon olive oil to a large saucepan and heat. Saute the carrots in the olive oil for about 5 minutes. Add minced garlic and cook until fragrant. Add both broths and bring to a boil. Stir in escarole and orzo pasta. Return to boil, then reduce heat to low-medium. Add meatballs.
- Cook at a slow boil for 10 minutes. Season with garlic salt and Italian seasoning to taste.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.