Deliciously decadent Chocolate Lava Cake is perfect for company or a date night. These chocolatey cakes are made in just 30 minutes!!
Quick and easy Chocolate Lava Cakes are show-stopping desserts that only require 6 ingredients! These tasty treats are perfect for all occasions. For more yummy chocolate, try Homemade Chocolate Syrup, Chocolate Covered Strawberries, and Chocolate Macarons.
Molten Lava Cake
Chocolate Lava Cake is one of my favorite cake recipes! It’s easy to make, totally decadent and delicious, and ready to eat in about thirty minutes. It’s a chocolate lover’s dream!
One of my favorite ways to have couples time at home is to send the kids to bed a little early and make a delicious dessert for just the two of us.
We laugh and talk and remember old stories together, and it’s a simple and sweet way to unwind after a busy day.
These Molten Lava Cakes are absolutely perfect for a date night at home! We also love Creme Brulee and Panna Cotta.
Lava cake v soufflé
Lava Cake and Soufflé are similar, but there are a few differences:
- Lava cakes have a thick gooey center, while a soufflé is cooked throughout and has a soft texture.
- Soufflés come in different flavors from chocolate to lemon. Lava cakes are only chocolate.
- Soufflés are served and eaten out of the container it was baked in. Lava cakes are inverted onto a plate so when you cut into the cake a flow of chocolate lava oozes out of the center.
How to Make Lava Cake
As I mentioned, there are just 6 ingredients needed for this recipe!!
PREP. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Spray four 6-ounce ramekins with cooking spray and place them on a baking sheet.
CHOCOLATE. Add the butter and semi-sweet chocolate to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for one minute, or until the butter is melted. Remove the bowl from the microwave and stir until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Note. The mixture will be thick, almost like frosting.
BATTER. Add the powdered sugar and stir until combined, then add the eggs, egg yolks, and vanilla, and stir until smooth.
Add the flour, and stir until combined. Divide the batter evenly between the ramekins.
BAKE. Bake for 13 minutes, then remove from the oven and let stand for 5-10 minutes.
SERVE. Run a plastic knife or rubber spatula, around the edge of each cake to release it from the ramekin, then invert it onto a plate.
Dust with powdered sugar and serve warm.
Let it cool. The cakes will puff up in the oven, but flatten slightly or even sink a little as they cool. Let them sit for 5-10 minutes so the molten middles can thicken slightly, and cool down.
No molten middle. If the cake isn’t melted in the middle that means you have overbaked the cake! Next time wait until the edges are just set and the middle is still soft and jiggly.
Ramekins. We highly recommend using ramekins! It gives it that perfect cake shape and allows the outside to bake well and the center to stay molten.
- Muffin tin. If you don’t have a ramekin, use a standard muffin pan. Each slot holds 4 oz of batter = about 6 lava cakes. Grease each slot or use silicone muffin liners for easy removal. Reduce the bake time to 8-10 minutes.
Room temperature eggs. They incorporate easier with the other ingredients in the recipe. In a pinch place the eggs in a bowl of warm water for about 5 minutes.
Chocolate. The better the quality of chocolate, the better the result of the cake.
Custard center. The combination of ingredients allows the center of the lava cake to reach a safe 160°F while still staying gooey, similar to a soft custard.
Over-mixing the batter can create air bubbles in the chocolate mixture leading the cake to rise in the oven and fall flat.
Here are some ideas for serving your Chocolate Molten Lava Cake:
- sprinkled with confectioners sugar
- topped with fresh berries (strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries are our favorites)
- with homemade Vanilla Ice Cream on the side
- powdered sugar and lemon or orange zest
- drizzle the top with caramel or Chocolate Sauce
- a dollop of Whipped Cream and chocolate shavings
However you serve it, it’s sure to be a hit!!
Make ahead of time. Make the batter ahead of time and store it in the fridge for up to 3 days before baking. Pour the batter into the ramekins and cover the dishes. Place them in the fridge overnight.
These Chocolate Lava Cakes are definitely best when they’re warm and gooey, but if you want to make them in advance, reheat them in the microwave for a minute or so, until the middles are melty again.
STORE baked Lava Cakes in an air-tight container and in the fridge for up to 5 or 6 days.
FREEZE the cake batter. The cake batter can be frozen for up to 3 months, in the ramekins, to be baked later. Thaw at room temperature and bake as directed.
To Reheat. Place them on a plate and reheat them in the microwave for 30-45 seconds. If the cake is frozen, reheat in 30-second bursts until heated through.
So delicious and perfect for company or date night in!
For more chocolate desserts, check out:
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Chocolate Mousse
- Best Chocolate Sheet Cake
- Chocolate Mug Cake
- Chocolate Cheesecake
- German Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Fondue
Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate chopped
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Spray four 6 ounce ramekins with cooking spray and place them on a baking sheet.
- Add the butter and chocolate to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for one minute, or until the butter is melted. Remove the bowl from the microwave and stir until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Add the powdered sugar and stir until combined, then add the eggs, egg yolks, and vanilla, and stir until smooth. Add the flour, and stir until combined. Divide the batter evenly between the ramekins.
- Bake for 13 minutes, then remove from the oven and let stand for 5-10 minutes. Run a plastic knife around the edge of each cake to release it from the ramekin, then invert it onto a plate.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve warm.
Thanks again Alicia from The Baker Upstairs!
I am loving this chocolate lava cake recipe. I made it for breakfast. My kids love it and they won’t stop eating. Thanks for this. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Xoxo.
Thank you so much for sharing that! I am so happy they like it!
I have never tried chocolate lava cake, it looks very good. Thank you for sharing the recipe.
I hope you give this a try..it’s delicious! Thank you!
We shared this chocolate lava cake this holiday season. Everyone in the family loves it! Every bite burst with happiness, it’s like the heaven opened its gates. This is so good, so thumbs up!
Awe, thank you so much for letting me know 🙂 Thank you for sharing that!
This seems like such a fancy dessert for a Beginner baker to make, but it is super easy to make and so good!
I did not know how much I would like this cake, until I tried it!! It is so good & gooey, we all loved it!!
This cake is pure indulgence! My favorite dessert!
Chocolate and raspberry are two of my favorite flavor combos! i will be making this asap! beautifully presented as well!
Mine too!! Thank you so much!!
now this is my kind of cake!! All that chocolate!
This is such a great cake for a chocolate lover like me!! I love how it looks so fancy but is so simple and easy to make. AMAZING!!!
I can’t think of anything better than this!
I can’t resist gooey chocolate lava cakes! This was amazing!!!
This cake is so delicious! Definitely a family favorite!
I love the molten lava cakes at Chilies. When I found this recipe to try I was so excited. So good and not difficult at all. Happy to know I caN make these at home.
I was looking for a cake to bake for the whole family and I stumbled on this article. I read and followed the instructions carefully and I made it deliciously! Every member of my family is so happy! Thanks for this!
Glad to share!! Thank you for trying it & for letting me know!
I love how you make these individual size. So excited to try these.