Our favorite chocolate sheet cake recipe. It’s simple, moist and so delicious making it our go-to party dessert! It also makes a ton making it great for get togethers.
Chocolate Sheet Cake
I hope everyone had a great weekend. Today, I thought I’d share a recipe that is a family favorite (we seriously make it ALL the time!!) I seriously think today’s recipe for Chocolate Sheet Cake is the BEST EVER!. If you don’t believe me, just try it. I promise it will not disappoint. We got the recipe from a family friend years ago, and it quickly became a favorite.
This particular cake makes a lot, so it’s become a staple for get togethers and birthday parties. We change out the sprinkles based on the occasion and usually serve it with different kinds of ice cream. Blue Bell ice cream is our favorite to serve with this cake, but this dessert is great on it’s own as well. If I’m going to be honest, I can’t have this cake laying around at my house, because I will literally eat the whole pan. It’s just so soft and so flavorful and SO addicting!!
Texas Sheet Cake
Although this cake is made in a jelly-roll pan and is made with classic pantry ingredients, we omit the pecans which are classic in a Texas Sheet Cake recipe. Can you add the pecans if you like them? Of course!! We just have so many kids in the family that sprinkles tend to get a better response than the nuts. But as I mentioned, we tend to have all these ingredients on hand which means we make this all the time!
This recipe calls for buttermilk, but that is the one ingredient that many don’t always have on hand. Although there really isn’t anything that tastes JUST like buttermilk, there are plenty of buttermilk substitutes than you can use in a recipe.
- ACIDIFIED MILK
- Add 1 tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice to a measuring cup, and add enough milk until it measures 1 cup. Stir, and let sit for five minutes before using.
- WATERED-DOWN YOGURT
- Whisk a bit of milk or water into plain, unsweetened yogurt until you get a buttermilk-like consistency (generally around 1/4 liquid with 3/4 cup yogurt).
- WATERED-DOWN SOUR CREAM
- Whisk together equal parts sour cream and water. This hack is particular good in Pancakes.
- CREAM OF TARTAR AND MILK
- Whisk 1 3/4 teaspoons cream of tartar into one cup of milk.
Even though this cake may be the demise of any diet or healthy eating I’m trying to accomplish, it’s also my cheat treat! I really don’t think you can find a cake that is more soft or scrumptious!
For more sheet cake recipes, check out:
- Lime Sheet Cake
- Lemon Sheet Cake
- White Texas Sheetcake
- Pumpkin Sheet Cake
- White Sheet Cake with Chocolate Frosting
- Cherry Sheet Cake
- Strawberry Sheet Cake
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup Hershey cocoa
- 3 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup hot water
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add eggs, oil, buttermilk, hot water. Mix all together and pour into jelly roll pan.
- Bake at 350-375 degrees for 20 minutes.
- FROSTING: Cook in pan - Melt 1 cube butter, 4-6 teaspoons of cocoa, 4-6 tablespoons of milk, 1 tsp. vanilla and 3½ cups (1 box) of powdered sugar. Mix and spread over warm cake.
For all my gluten-free friends, be sure to check out this Flourless Chocolate Cake.
And here is the white version of this Texas Sheet Cake – the almond extract in this cake makes it irresistible!!
For all Dessert recipes, CLICK HERE.
For all Cake recipes, CLICK HERE.
For all Chocolate recipes, CLICK HERE.