Restaurant quality butternut squash soup that you can make and eat at home. Buttery smooth with just a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg makes for one delicious soup recipe.
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Can we talk about the color of butternut squash soup? I think it’s so gorgeous. It’s the perfect combination of yellow and orange. It’s like the mascot for fall recipes. Butternut squash soup is one of my all-time favorite dishes to make and eat. It’s healthy and hearty and has the most scrumptious flavor.
Butternut squash soup is basically comfort in a bowl. It has a bit of sweet and a bit of savory and the ingredients in this recipe come together so well that it makes the squash soup creamy and delicious.
How to Roast Butternut Squash
Don’t be intimated by roasting the squash. It’s super simple and takes almost no effort. Place your squash onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Once the oven has preheated, roast the squash for 1 hour. Every 15 minutes turn it so that it gets roasted on all sides. That’s it! You’ve just roasted a squash.
Once you’ve roasted the squash, you’ll make the recipe by following a few simple steps. After it’s roasted, be sure to peel and take all the seeds out of the squash. Then cut it up into cubes. Now it’s ready to be made into soup with the rest of the ingredients. In a large pot, melt the butter. Cook the carrots, potatoes, garlic, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cubed roasted squash for 5 minutes. Pour in the chicken stock to cover the vegetables. Bring the mixture to a boil. Simmer for 40 minutes or until all the veggies are tender.
Transfer the soup mixture to a blender and blend until smooth. Return the soup back to the pot. Add more chicken stock until it reaches desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper and serve warm!
Best Butternut Squash Soup
We love this soup garnished with a bit of chopped cilantro and sour cream. It truly is like having a bit of fall in your mouth. We can tell you right now that this is the best butternut squash soup you will ever make. The flavors are incredible and it’s so simple to put together.
What do you serve this meal with? We love soups in sourdough bread bowls and usually keep it at that, but also love to make grilled cheese sandwiches or even rolls to go with the soups. Here are some of our favorite recipes to go with this soup…
Complete the meal by also making:
For more veggie soups, check out:
Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
- 2 TB butter
- 1 medium carrot chopped
- 1 potato cubed
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Dash of nutmeg
- 1 medium butternut squash peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 32 oz chicken stock
- sour cream for garnish
- Roast squash at 400 degrees for 1 hour, turning ever 15 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a large pot, and cook the carrots, potatoes, garlic, cinnamon, nutmeg and squash for 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Pour in chicken stock to cover vegetables. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 40 minutes, or until all vegetables are tender.
- Transfer to a blender, and blend until smooth. Return to pot, and add any remaining stock to reach your desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.
- DIFFICULTY: easy
- HOW MANY DOES IT FEED: 4 servings
- ANY CHANGES MADE: no onion, no celery, added minced garlic, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR NEXT TIME: keep our changes
Adapted from Allrecipes.com