Velvety smooth Sweet Potato Soup has just a bit of spice. It’s the perfect soup recipe for anyone who loves sweet potatoes.
Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
You’re going to love the creamy texture of this creamy Sweet Potato Soup recipe. It’s so delicious that you’ll want to eat this weekly.
I love a good soup recipe. It’s always so easy and filling. This creamy Sweet Potato Soup is a favorite. Serve it alongside a sandwich, some crusty bread, or a Grilled Cheese Sandwich for a full meal. But it’s also super yummy on its own.
The flavor of this soup is incredible. There is a pinch of crushed red pepper that gives it just a hint of spice. If you love the combo of sweet and a little spicy then this will become your new favorite soup. It’s perfect in the fall!
Sweet potatoes are full of nutrients and have a high level of beta carotene. They are a great vegetable to have during the fall.
This soup is also quite healthy because there is very little fat involved in the recipe. The only substitute that you could make to make it healthier would be to use turkey bacon.
How to Make Sweet Potato Soup
SWEET POTATOES. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and place, cut sides down, in a microwave-safe baking dish. Add ¼ cup of water and cover with plastic wrap.
Microwave on high for 15 minutes or until tender. Let the potatoes cool slightly and remove the skins.
BROTH. Boil chicken stock, onion powder, cumin, and red pepper in a pot. Place half of the stock mixture and half of your potatoes in a blender.
BLEND. Remove the center piece of the blender lid (to allow steam to escape). Then puree until smooth. Pour into a large bowl and repeat with the remaining potato and stock mixture.
SERVE. Add salt and divide among soup bowls. Sprinkle cooked bacon and parmesan cheese evenly over top. Garnish with parsley.
I love the pretty orange/yellow color of this soup. It’s gorgeous. Top the soup with parmesan shavings and bits of crunchy bacon. You can add a little parsley garnish to give it some color, or drizzle with sour cream for even more flavor.
Make it in a crockpot
PREP + COOK. Peel and cube the sweet potatoes before putting them in the slow cooker, then add in the rest of the ingredients and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
PUREE. After that time make it into a puree using an immersion blender, or let it cool a little bit before doing small batches in a blender.
Coconut milk. Some people like to add coconut milk or coconut cream to make the soup creamier. This is a great dairy-free option to create a smooth consistency.
Vegan soup recipe. Omit the bacon topping and replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth for a vegan option!
Blending. We used a typical stand blender for this recipe, but if all you have is an immersion blender you can make it work.
- Find a large bowl or pot to mix all your ingredients together.
- Use your immersion blender to make the mixture nice and smooth.
CAUTION: Due to the hot mixture, steam can build up and cause the lid to pop off allowing the hot soup to explode all over. To avoid this, be sure to vent the blender by loosening, or removing, the center section on the lid.
Yams are not sweet potatoes. It can be confusing because around the holidays “canned yams” used in many recipes are actually sweet potatoes.
- Yams have rough brown skin whereas sweet potatoes have softer reddish skin.
- The inside of a sweet potato can have white, purplish, or orange flesh with a sweet flavor, hence its name. The flesh of a yam is pale in color and has a neutral flavor.
- Sweet potatoes or more widely available at any US grocery store than yams so you shouldn’t have trouble mixing them up.
Texture. To make the soup thinner, add water or chicken broth. To thicken the soup, add heavy cream or blend in more softened sweet potatoes. You can also add a cornstarch slurry.
- Cornstarch slurry: In a separate bowl mix together 1 tablespoon of cold water and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. Stir it into the soup and allow it to simmer. The heat will activate the cornstarch and thicken the soup. Repeat if needed.
Season with herbs and spices. Easily adjust the flavor using your favorite seasonings: minced garlic cloves, paprika, black pepper, thyme, fresh ginger, or kosher salt. Be sure to taste as you go so that you get the best flavor.
Storing + Serving Info
STORE Sweet Potato Soup leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for about a week.
Reheat individual servings in the microwave or larger servings on the stove.
Make ahead of time. Cool Sweet Potato Soup completely before placing it in an airtight container or freezer-safe bag. It will last 4-6 months. Thaw it in the fridge overnight and then reheat it on the stove.
- Wedge Salad
- Chicken Ceasar Salad
- Waldorf Salad
- Monte Cristo Sandwich
- Grilled Cheese
- Ham and Cheese Sliders
For more sweet potato recipes, check out:
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Candied Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Skins
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Baked Parmesan Sweet Potatoes
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Pork Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock unsalted
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 bacon slices cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup fresh parmesan cheese shaved
- 2 TB flat leaf parsley leaves
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and place, cut sides down, in a microwave-safe baking dish. Add ¼ cup of water and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 15 minutes or until tender. Let the potatoes cool slightly and remove the skins.
- Boil chicken stock, onion powder, cumin, and red pepper in a pot. Place half of the stock mixture and half of your potatoes in a blender. Remove the center piece of the blender lid (to allow steam to escape). Then puree until smooth.
- Pour into a large bowl and repeat with remaining. potato and stock mixture. Add salt and divide among soup bowls. Sprinkle cooked bacon and Parmesan cheese evenly over top. Garnish with parsley.
Adapted from myrecipes.com