DELICIOUS Slow Cooker Beef Stew is a family favorite that we’ve enjoyed for years!! Your crock pot does all the work – just add your stew meat, carrots, potatoes, mushroom soup, water, and onion mix!
hearty and simple slow cooker stew
Today’s delicious-ness is warm, chunky and super duper simple! This beef stew is one of those recipes that we got from the sister of a friend of a friend of a friend years ago (grandma has been making this since we were little).
It has become a family-favorite and is one we HAVE to have each winter, because it’s so classic, hearty and delicious.
We love it for the chunks of beef, carrots and potatoes. Oh yeah – it’s also great because it’ SIMPLE!! You pretty much throw everything in the crock pot and let it cook.
Chop, throw, and go!
The only prep work this slow cooker beef stew really requires is chopping all of the vegetables, and cubing the meat. From there, you throw it all in the crock pot with just THREE other ingredients (mushroom soup, water, and onion soup mix), and let it cook!
Simple as that!
Tips and variations:
- If you like, you can sear your meat in a pan on each side before cubing it. This will give it a nice seared flavor and more crisp outside.
- The best kind of potatoes to use are red potatoes or yukon gold. But any kind will do!
- If you don’t like cream of mushroom soup, you can try something like cream of beef or cream of potato. It will have a slightly different flavor!
- Top off your soup with some fresh parsley before serving!
Making Ahead + Storing Info
Beef stew is a great soup for freezing. Simply place soup (completely cooled) into freezer bags or storage containers. Keep in the freezer for up to 6 months. When you’re ready to use it, either thaw in the fridge overnight or heat on the stovetop.
Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container and kept in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Recipes like this slow cooker beef stew make me want to grab a blanket and turn on “While you were sleeping,” Right? Just me? (Ok, anything makes me want to watch that movie!)
Well, movie or no movie, this stew is truly awesome. And with just a few simple steps, it’ll be in your crock pot and ready for dinner in no time!
For more slow cooker soups, try:
Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- 3 pounds chuck roast or other stew meat cubed
- 8 Yukon Gold potatoes cubed
- 6 medium carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 (10.5-ounce) cans golden mushroom soup
- 2-3 cups water or beef broth
- 1 (2-ounce) package onion soup mix
- garlic salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- chopped parsley optional
- Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker.
- Cook on low for approximately 6 hours, then serve. Season with garlic salt, pepper and chopped parsley, if desired.