We recently got together with some friends and I wanted to bring a last-minute treat to share with everyone.
The treat I always think of when I have little time is Rice Krispies Treats, because A) I always have the ingredients on hand and B) They are easy and yummy!!
To change things up I decided to do make them a little patriotic and did Fourth of July Rice Krispies Treats. I had seen the idea on Pinterest via Cookie Madness but wanted to make my layers a lot more vibrant. I was able to do that with the right food coloring, and I LOVE how they turned out!!
It only added a few more minutes to the already quick and easy dessert, but made them look super festive and fun!!
Here is how you can do them as well:
– 6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
– 1 package marshmallows
– 3 TB margarine or butter
– Food coloring (red and blue – I like Betty Crocker Gel Food Colors because the colors are brighter)
1. Gather your supplies and divide the rice krispies and marshmallows in three for the three layers (2 cups rice krispies and about 2 cups marshmallows).
2. I like to microwave my marshmallows because it’s easier. I stick them in a microwave safe bowl along with the margarine (1 TB) for a few minutes or until they start to get big and almost touch the top of the microwave. Take them out, stir well and add the food coloring (I added almost 1/4 – 1/3 tube of the gel food coloring which is a lot I know but made the colors pretty and bright). Then add the 2 cups of Rice Krispies and stir well. Press into well greased 9×9 (a 9×13 works but makes thinner treats). I wanted mine more thick so I used a 9×9 (8×8 would work as well).
3. Do this for all 3 layers starting with the blue, then white (which is just regular and requires no food coloring) and then red. Pat down all layers really well using wax paper.
4. Let set for a bit, then cut, serve and enjoy!
So festive and fun for the fourth. And best of all – EASY!!
For more fun Patriotic Desserts be sure to check out:
For more Rice Krispies creations:
This Post is Brought to you by: