Easy layered Strawberry Gooey Butter Cake whips up with only 5 minutes of prep. It’s a family favorite that can be enjoyed all year long!
In the summertime, I am always craving fruits and anything fruity. My favorite fruit of all would have to be STRAWBERRIES. They are just so sweet and juicy I’m not sure how anyone couldn’t like them. With it being summer and me craving some strawberries, I’ve concocted a few Strawberry sweets I will be sharing with you over the next few days. The first one is today’s Strawberry Gooey Butter Cake (or bars)!!
I’ve made these “gooey” recipes a ton in the past but had never tried a strawberry version. With some cream cheese and strawberry cake mix, these bars turned out so delicious and were so easy to make. Really, with all the different cake mixes there are, there are endless gooey recipes you can make!
We love how these bars turned out!! You can even leave the strawberries off if you want them less fruity. It’s not very often that you can put together such a delicious dessert in about 5 minutes. But with just a little bit of prep you will be enjoying this cake in no time!
Easy Strawberry Gooey Butter Cake
PREP. Grease a 9×13 pan and turn oven to 325.
CAKE LAYER. Blend cake mix, 1 egg and butter until smooth. Press into your greased 9×13 pan.
CREAM CHEESE LAYER. Blend cream cheese, 2 eggs, and powdered sugar until creamy and smooth. Spread over the first mixture in your pan.
BAKE + SERVE. Bake at 325 for 40-45 minutes or until edges are golden brown (middle may sink in a bit). Top with powdered sugar and sliced strawberries.
When you are ready to cut this cake make sure it is completely cooled first. To keep the cake from sticking to your knife you can spray the knife with a little bit of cooking spray and then wipe it off with a paper towel before cutting.
For best results wait to dust your cake with powdered sugar until right before you serve it regardless of which way you store it.
For red-er color: Mixing in some strawberry kool-aid can give it that vibrant red color just like the flag and the color of strawberries. You can also mix in red food coloring.
- The cream cheese and eggs should be room temperature so they are easier to mix.
- Be sure that you only use the dry cake mix. Do not use the other ingredients listed on the back of the box.
- You can easily use another flavor of cake mix to change up the recipe.
Best topping: If you mix the sliced strawberries with some sweetener or sugar and let them sit for a little while they will become softer and sweeter. YOu can also use other fruit such as sliced bananas, raspberries and blueberries.Wait to add the fruit until right before serving.
Clean Cuts: To make this cake easier to cut be sure that it has cooled off. Spray a sharp knife with cooking spray to help it slice right through. Wipe the blade after each cut. Apply more cooking spray when needed. Lining the pan with parchment paper will also help.
STORE leftover cake in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days, or you can stick them in the fridge for 5-7 days.
For long term storage they can be frozen for 3-4 months. FREEZE the cake in a large block or after cutting it.
- Large block: Warp the entire block with plastic wrap and again with foil. Label and freeze.
- Individual pieces: Wrap each piece with plastic wrap or with a fold top sandwich bag. I like to then stick them together in a Freezer Ziploc, but you can wrap each piece with foil as well.
- Note: Do not store cake with fresh fruit on top.
For even more gooey recipes, check out:
- Gooey Chocolate Rolo Cookies
- Ooey Gooey Butter Cookies
- Funfetti Gooey Bars
- Gooey Butter Pumpkin Bars
Strawberry Butter Cake Recipe
- 1 box strawberry cake mix
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 8 oz PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- sliced strawberries
- Grease a 9x13 pan and turn oven to 325°F.
- Blend cake mix, 1 egg and butter until smooth. Press into your greased 9x13 pan.
- Blend cream cheese, 2 eggs, and powdered sugar until creamy and smooth. Spread over your the first mixture in your pan.
- Bake at 325 for 40-45 minutes or until edges are golden brown (middle may sink in a bit).
- Top with powdered sugar and sliced strawberries.