Roasted Lemon Chicken with Veggies including green beans and red potatoes. One of the easiest and yummiest dinner recipes!
A weeknight dinner hero
I bet you’re wondering what you should do for dinner. Well, wonder no more. This Lemon Chicken with Veggies dish is just begging for you to make it.
It seems like there are millions of different ways to make chicken. This recipe is a new way for us! It’s simple, delicious, and perfect for dinner! It also includes some amazing vegetables (which can be changed up based on what which you love most).
I love being able to throw something together before the kids get home from school, then let it cook while we do homework. It’s ready and perfect just in time for dinner. No crazy kids running around the kitchen at 5 o’clock while you’re trying to figure out what to make. Try it out and I bet you’ll love how smoothly your dinner prep (or as I like to call it “witching hour”) goes.
Quick and easy prep
PREP DISH. Coat a large baking dish with 1 TB of the olive oil. On the bottom of your dish, arrange lemon slices in a single layer.
VEGGIES. Combine the remaining oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper In a large bowl. One by one, you will need to coat the green beans, then potatoes in the oil mixture. A the green beans first, toss to coat, and use tongs to remove and place on top of the lemon slices.
Next, add the potatoes to the olive-oil mixture and toss to coat. Using your tongs again, arrange the potatoes over the green beans, along the inside edge of the dish. Tip: make sure the potato pieces are no larger than an inch, or they may not cook completely.
CHICKEN. Coat the chicken in the oil mixture and place in your dish. Pour any remaining olive-oil mixture over the chicken.
BAKE. Cook at 350 for 60-75 minutes (or until potatoes and veggies look soft and chicken is cooked through). Serve warm.
Can you prep everything and leave it in fridge to cook for the next day? This can definitely be done, but I do suggest keeping your vegetables and raw chicken separated while sitting in the fridge overnight, just to be safe.
I would prep all the veggies in the pan, cover it, then place it in the fridge. Prep and store the chicken in a separate container or bag and when you’re ready to cook it, put the chicken in the pan with the veggies.
Make it your own
Other veggie options. Some veggies cook faster than others, so be sure that the combination of vegetables you’re using take about the same time to cook. Here are some ideas:
- Brussel sprouts
Can you use other types of chicken? Yes! Do be aware that bone-in and skin-on chicken does take longer to cook than boneless and skinless. Chicken that is thinner, like chicken tenders, will cook faster so you may need to adjust the timing accordingly.
One thing I would watch out for with the thinner chicken is your vegetables not having enough time to cook. I would start cooking the vegetables first and then add the chicken to it later so it doesn’t leave you with anything under or overcooked.
Lemon flavor too strong? If you prefer less of a lemon flavor, just use one lemon and cut it in half. Juice one half, and thinly slice the other. Use according to directions.
prefer the Crockpot?
This lemon chicken recipe can easily be done in the crockpot. It will take longer to cook, but it is an option. Prepare everything the same, just placing it in the crockpot instead of a pan. Cook it for 4 hours on high and 8 hours on low.
We love all the hearty veggies with this chicken and feel like you get an entire meal with this one recipe. Be sure to try it out and let us know how it goes. 😉
For even more chicken recipes, check out:
Lemon Chicken with Veggies Recipe
- 6 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 lemons 1 thinly sliced, 1 juiced
- 4 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 lb green beans trimmed
- 8 small red potatoes quartered
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Coat a large baking dish with 1 TB of the olive oil. On the bottom of your dish, arrange lemon slices in a single layer.
- Combine the remaining oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper In a large bowl. One by one, you will need to coat the green beans, potatoes and chicken in the oil mixture. Start by adding the green beans first. Toss to coat. Then, using tongs, remove the green beans and place them on top of the lemon slices. Next, add the potatoes to the olive-oil mixture and toss to coat. Using your tongs again, arrange the potatoes over the green beans, along the inside edge of the dish. Last, coat the chicken in the oil mixture and place in your dish. Pour any remaining olive-oil mixture over the chicken.
- Cook at 350 for 1 hour - 1 hour and 15 minutes (or until potatoes and veggies look soft and chicken cooked through). Serve warm.
Adapted from realsimple.com.