These adorable Oreo Turkeys are chocolate dipped oreos with candy melts as feathers, candy eyes and a butterscotch chip beak. Kids love these!
Oreo Turkeys make for both a fun kid-friendly activity as well as a tasty Thanksgiving treat! With the addition of some eyeballs and a few candy melts, you can turn Chocolate Covered Oreos into darling turkeys.
Adorable Thanksgiving Oreos
This is my favorite time of year, and I wish it would slow down! Because I love this time of year so much, I always try to come up with some fun and unique recipes to go with the holidays.
I first thought of the idea for these Oreo Turkeys when I made some Mickey Mouse Oreos a while back. I knew the Wilton candy melts would be great as feathers for a chocolate-dipped Oreo. Adding some eye balls and a butterscotch chip for the beak would be the perfect finishing touch.
The result is a super cute Thanksgiving treat that the kids will LOVE. My kids keep talking about how much they loved them, and I hope they’re enjoyed with your family as well!
Melting & Dipping
Before you start, make sure to gather all of your supplies and ingredients. They key for making these turkeys is to make sure you use the double stuffed Oreos. They are easier to use for dipping, and the candy melt feathers will stay in better.
MELTING. Getting the candy coating smooth is pretty important for this cute treat. Here are a few tips:
- Keep it at the right temperature. Too hot, and it will slide right off the Oreos. Too cold, and it will be clumpy.
- Using a double boiler makes candy dipping so much easier. If you don’t have a double boiler you can easily make your own:
- Fill a small pot with 1-2 inches of water and bring the water to a boil. Once boiling reduce the heat and cover the pot with a metal or glass bowl. Place the candy in the bowl to melt.
- Use the microwave. Heat in 20 second increments, stirring in between to get the candy warm enough to dip. Be sure you do not overheat
DIPPING. Inserting the sucker sticks before dipping makes it easier to dip the Oreo. If you don’t have sucker sticks, I found using a simple fork works well to coat them as well.
Candy foot: A candy foot is created when excess coating drips down and pools around the base of the treat. To help prevent this allow the extra coating to drip off before placing it on the parchment paper to set. If you do notice the coating beginning to pool, use a toothpick to “cut” the pool away from the treat. If a foot has set, simply break/trim it off.
Be sure to work quickly after dipping the Oreos while the chocolate is still warm, otherwise the eyes and beak won’t stick to the Oreo.
If you would like to change it up:
- Use candy corn instead of candy melts for the feathers
- Use golden oreos instead of normal ones
- Add on red icing for the gobble of the turkey
- You can also easily change up the colors of the “feathers” based on the melt colors you use. These can be found at any craft store or at Wal-Mart.
Making Ahead and Storing
Ahead of time: If you would like to prepare these ahead of time for a party or to deliver as a festive treat I suggest making them the night before and just leaving them on parchment paper on the counter overnight so that they have an adequate amount of time to set.
Storage: You can store these dipped cookies for a while and still keep a beautiful finish. They can be stored in the fridge for about a week, or frozen for about a month. Be sure to allow everything to set before storing and separate layers with wax paper.
Because we used candy melts, they will not produce the white dusty “bloom” that other chocolates create when stored.
For more Thanksgiving fun, check out:
Oreo Turkeys Recipe
- 1 package Double Stuffed Oreos
- 1 package Candy Melts (for feathers)
- 1 package Chocolate Candy Coating
- 48 Candy eye balls
- 24 butterscotch chips
- 24 sucker sticks
- Begin by melting chocolate candy coating according to package directions.
- With the Oreo placed on a fork, dip Oreos in chocolate and place on parchment paper.
- Immediately add 4 candy melts to cream filling at the top.
- Add candy eye balls, butterscotch chip peak and stick in sucker stick.
- Let set for at least 1 hour. ENJOY!