Sheet Cake Bites – a delicious chocolate sheet cake topped with a yummy homemade chocolate walnut frosting – in bite sized form!
Our Texas Sheet Cake is one of our most famous cake recipes. It’s chocolatey and delicious, and these little sheet cake bites are like a mini cupcake version!
Bite Size Cake treats
One of our very favorite things our wonderful Mom makes is this BEST ever Chocolate Sheet Cake. It’s a family favorite, and we even have a white Texas Sheet Cake version as well.
Both are simple, make a ton, and everyone loves them. We’ve made each countless times, especially because one batch can feed the entire family (including all the young cousins!)
When my mom saw a recipe to make Sheet Cake bites, we knew we had to give it a try. We ended up trying them for my nieces Sweet 16 Party and, as expected, they were devoured in minutes. We made sure to save a few for ourselves to sample, and we were so glad we did because they were so good!!
Whether you are making them for parties, family gatherings or barbecues, these chocolate-y bites are sure to be hit. Now we just have to figure out how to make the white version in these bite-sized pieces!! 😉
how to make Sheet Cake Bites
Why do you boil the water and cocoa? By boiling water and adding that to the dry ingredients you are “blooming” the cocoa powder. This just means that the temperature of the water stops gluten from developing, which results in smaller granules that are more chocolate-flavored.
The cocoa powder gets a deeper chocolate flavor because the water soaks into the cocoa powder when its hot and the mixture thickens and is more present in the cake.
No buttermilk? No problem. Buttermilk is great in recipes like this because the acidity of buttermilk breaks down the long strands of gluten and gives it a moist texture. If you don’t have buttermilk there are some options:
- Make your own buttermilk: This is done by adding an acid to plain milk to curdle it slightly, just how normal buttermilk should be. For every cup of buttermilk use a cup of regular milk and add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar. Then you need to let it sit in a measuring cup until the acid had worked on the milk for a little bit.
- Just use normal milk: This isn’t the ideal option, but it will still work. The cake just won’t be as soft and moist because the acidity will be missing from the milk.
how to store sheet cake Bites
When we made these for my nieces party, there wasn’t a single one left! But if you do happen to have any leftovers, you can store them covered at room temperature for up to a week.
NOTE: Even though there’s milk in the recipe, these don’t need to be refrigerated.
You can also make these ahead and FREEZE in Ziploc bags. Just thaw on counter overnight before frosting and serving.
We hope you enjoy this treat as much as we did!
For more sheet cake recipes, try:
Sheet Cake Bites Recipe
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup water
- 5 tbsp cocoa powder dutch process cocoa works best
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 6 tbsp buttermilk (milk works fine too)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 5 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, flour, and salt, set aside. In a saucepan, bring water, cocoa powder, and butter to a boil. Remove from heat and pour over dry ingredients, mixing with a hand mixer. Add milk and eggs and blend well (batter will be thin).
- Place 1 tablespoon of batter in the cups of a heavily greased mini muffin tin. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes or until baked through. Let cool before gently removing muffins to a wire rack to completely cool.
- Heat milk, butter and cocoa in a medium saucepan until bubbly. Mix in sugar and vanilla until smooth. Stir in nuts until incorporated. Carefully spoon about a tablespoon of frosting over the top of each muffin bite. Let set before eating.
Adapted from realhousemoms.com
Thank you so much for this recipe!
These are seriously the best!! They are super easy to make, fudgy, & so good!! They are perfect for entertaining, because the recipe makes so much!
These Cake Bites are delicious! And such a cute fun size!
Perfect for parties- thank you!
These are super good and this recipe makes a lot. Love that they are in individual bites adn so fudgy. One of my favorites
The go to recipe that not only is good but provides huge amounts!
I really love how these are mini. TheYre the PERFECT size to add a sweet treat to my kids’ lunch boxes.