This delicious Berry Buttercream Frosting is homemade with strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries.
Simple, Yet Impressive
I initially created this recipe somewhat by “accident” when I was trying to make cupcakes for a Girl’s Night Out. I was following a recipe for berry frosting, but it was way more complicated than I preferred, so I simplified and made my own version!
The end result was amazing! I piped the frosting onto some vanilla cupcakes and topped them off with fresh berries, and they were a complete hit.
Don’t be intimidated by this recipe, it seriously only takes 5 ingredients, and a few minutes. But no one would know it based on how impressive it turns out!
Just Puree and Mix!
This berry buttercream frosting recipe really only consists of two steps.
PUREE. Puree all of your berries in a food processor or blender. You want it as smooth as possible so it will incorporate well with the butter and sugar.
MIX. Add butter, powdered sugar and ½ cup of berry puree to a mixing bowl. Mix until smooth. Add more or less of the puree depending on the thickness of the frosting you’d like.
Once it’s all combined, it’s ready to be piped onto some cupcakes! Note: this will make enough to pipe 24 cupcakes.
Sometimes it can be tricky getting the right frosting consistency especially when using fresh fruit. Here are a few tips to help you get the perfect frosting each time:
- Boiling the puree for 10-20 minutes is a great way to remove any excess water. Chill before adding to the icing.
- Be sure the puree is cold! If the puree is warm at all, then it will separate from the other ingredients as well as melt the butter.
- Only add ½ c of the puree while whipping up the frosting. If the frosting is too runny add a bit more powdered sugar. If you find that the frosting is too thick, then add a bit of the remaining puree to get the desired texture.
STORE any leftover berry buttercream frosting in the fridge for 5-7 days, or FREEZE in an airtight container for 2-3 months.
For more favorite frosting recipes, try:
Berry Buttercream Frosting Recipe
- ½ cup blackberries
- ½ cup strawberries
- ½ cup blueberries
- 1 ½ cup butter (3 sticks) softened
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- fresh berries (blackberries, strawberries, blueberries and raspberries) for topping
- Begin by pureeing blackberries, strawberries and blueberries. Pour in a bowl and set aside.
- Add butter, powdered sugar and ½ cup of berry puree to a mixing bowl. Blend until smooth. Add more or less of the puree depending on the thickness of the frosting you'd like.
- Spread onto cool cupcakes.
- Top with fresh berries right before serving. ENJOY!