Delicious Coconut Curry Chicken is packed with flavor! Serve with rice or bread for a perfect chicken curry meal.
We love this chicken curry recipe because it’s simple, delicious and a meal the entire family enjoys. It’s a quick dinner recipe that requires minimal prep (always a win in my book)! Try pairing with Easy Crock Pot Rice or Cauliflower Rice.
Curry Chicken is always in our monthly meal rotation. Some of our favorites include massaman curry, spicy sweet potato curry, and this yellow coconut curry chicken. They’re all easy dishes to prep/make. Plus curry is a great way to get our kids to try new veggies and bold flavors.
This particular yellow curry includes potatoes, carrots and chicken, but you can add whatever veggies you want. To shake things up, you can also try cauliflower, squash, sweet potatoes, and celery root.
Sometimes we like to add chickpeas or chopped nuts for added protein. Just remember, no matter what protein you add, it’s going to be really delicious!
How to Make Thai Coconut Curry + Coconut Curry Sauce
Making curry chicken is simple!
VEGGIES. Sauté the onion and garlic until fragrant, cook the chicken until browned, then stir in potatoes and carrots. Sprinkle the seasonings over top and add the red curry past along with the yellow curry powder.
Recipe Tip: Toasting the seasonings will help develop the flavors in the curry. It’s a trick I use all of the time. You wouldn’t believe what a difference it makes!
SAUCE. Pour in the coconut milk (full-fat is recommended) along with the chicken broth (or vegetable broth if you plan on keeping things vegetarian), brown sugar, and fish sauce. Yes, I said fish sauce. A teaspoon gives this coconut curry sauce depth without being detectible, or even worse, overwhelming!
SIMMER. Let the curry simmer for 20 minutes or until it thickens up and the vegetables and chicken are cooked through.
Note: Use full fat coconut milk, it really adds so much flavor to the coconut curry sauce!
Serving + Storing Tips
Most veggies, rice and noodles are great with this chicken curry recipe, but other favorites sides include:
- Nan bread.
- Chapati bread
- Paratha bread
We love to serve this curry over rice. White rice or brown rice works well with this dish. If you’re trying to eat extra healthy I’d suggest serving it with cauliflower rice.
STORE in airtight containers and place in fridge for up to 3 days. To REHEAT, cook in a saucepan or wok on medium heat until heated through. You can also microwave until heated through.
For more chicken recipes, check out:
Curry Chicken Recipe
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves minced garlic minced
- 1 lb. chicken breasts cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 carrots cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 russet potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tbsp. yellow curry powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp. red curry paste
- 1 14 oz. can full-fat coconut milk
- 3 c. low-sodium chicken vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. fish sauce
- In a large skillet set over medium heat, add oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add chicken and brown, about 3 minutes per side. Add carrots and potatoes, cook until lightly browned. Stir in curry powder and curry pastes. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Whisk in coconut milk, broth, sugar, and fish sauce. Gently simmer (covered or uncovered) for 20 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are cooked through.
- Remove from heat and serve with rice and garnish with cilantro, if desired.