Crock Pot Cashew Chicken is an easy and delicious dinner that takes little time to prep and has a delicious sauce!
slow cooker chicken dinner
There are so many wonderful slow cooker recipes out there and I feel like I’ve been missing out on so many of them, including today’s Cashew Chicken recipe. And since you guys know how much we love chicken recipes.
This recipe is one I have tried at restaurants but never made at home. I’m glad we tried it because it was easier than I thought it would be.
You make this in the slow cooker which makes things so much easier. The sauce ended up being so tasty! We love the added flavor the cashews brought, but if you’re not a fan of the nut you can totally leave them out.
How to Make Cashew Chicken
Since you know we are all about quick and easy, we think you’ll love this version that is exactly just that – quick and easy.
CHICKEN. To make this cashew chicken, begin by combining the flour, pepper and chicken in a Ziploc bag. Shake to coat the chicken. Cook cubed chicken in a skillet with hot oil for 5-7 minutes.
SAUCE. In a small bowl mix soy sauce, rice vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, garlic, ginger and red peppers flakes.
SLOW COOKER. Pour over chicken and add to your slow cooker. Cook on low for 3-4 hours When ready, stir in cashews and serve over warm rice or noodles.
THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND + TIPS:
- Cornstarch can be used instead of flour but only use half of the amount the recipe calls for if you are doing this.
- You can replace canola oil with preferred oil.
- You can mix in some veggies into the crockpot with chicken before it is cooked if desired. Some great add-in options are broccoli, bell peppers, edamame, celery, water chestnuts and carrots. Just make sure to clean and chop the vegetables before adding them in.
- You can use either boneless chicken breasts or boneless chicken thighs in this recipe.
Can you make this in the oven? If you would prefer to make this in the oven then follow instructions as directed except you will put it in a baking dish instead of the crock pot and cook in the oven at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked. Add cashews and continue baking until they have turned slightly brown. (about 5-10 minutes)
How to make in instant pot:
- Turn instant pot to “saute” setting. Add oil to the bottom to heat up
- In a resealable bag combine flour, pepper and chicken. Shake to coat.
- Saute chicken in instant pot for 1-2 minutes. Then press “cancel”.
- In a small bowl mix soy sauce, rice vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes.
- Pour the mixture over the chicken in the instant pot. Stir until evenly coated.
- Cover and seal the instant pot. Set the valve to “manual” and set the time to 10 minutes.
- When done, do a quick release and open the lid. Stir in cashews and serve.
Making Ahead, Freezing, Reheating + Storing
MAKING AHEAD: The best way to do this and get the best results is to prep all the ingredients and then store them in the fridge to cook the next day.
To prep the ingredients, cut the chicken and store in the fridge in an airtight container. Mix together the ingredients for the sauce and store in an airtight container and store in the fridge. You can also combine the flour and pepper in a resealable bag and leave on counter until ready to use the next day.
FREEZING & REHEATING: Follow the recipe as instructed but leave out the cashews. When it is finished let it cool completely and pour it in an airtight, freezer-safe container. It can freeze for up to 3 months.
When ready to serve, thaw it in the fridge overnight and reheat it in the slow cooker for 1-2 hours or on the stovetop until hot. Stir in the cashews right before serving.
STORING LEFTOVERS: Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave in 30 second increments.
What to serve with cashew chicken:
For more Asian chicken recipes, check out:
- Copycat Panda Express Orange Chicken
- Crock Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- Lemon Chicken and Asparagus Stir Fry
- Korean Sticky Chicken
Crock Pot Cashew Chicken Recipe
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken cooked and cut into bite size pieces
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vingar
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup unsalted cashews
- In a resealable bag, combine flour, pepper and chicken. Shake to coat
- Cook cubed chicken in a skillet with oil for 5-7 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix soy sauce, rice vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, garlic, ginger and red peppers flakes.
- Pour over chicken and add to your slow cooker. Cook on low for 2-3 hours
- When ready, stir in cashews and serve over warm rice.