These delicious Cream Cheese Rangoon are filled with cream cheese, garlic, and green onions, then baked to crisp perfection!
It’s always fun to make a Chinese meal at home, complete with an entree, side, and appetizer! We like to serve this rangoon appetizer with some Egg Drop Soup, Orange Chicken, and of course some Fried Rice!
Delicious BAKED RANGOON
Today, I decided to try my hand in making one of my favorite Chinese appetizers: Cream Cheese Rangoon!
Typically these bad boys are fried, similar to our Cream Cheese Wontons, but I figured they would be just as good baked. Sure enough, I was right!
These baked cream cheese rangoon were so easy to whip up, and you only need 6 ingredients to make them.
Not only are they delicious, but they are perfect for a dinner party appetizer, march madness snack, or to pair with your favorite “make at home” Chinese meal.
Baking these saves so many calories, and you still get that awesome crunch we all love!
How to Make baked Cream Cheese Rangoons
PREP. Preheat oven to 400° F. Mix the filling together in one bowl and whisk the egg in another.
FILL. Place one teaspoon of cream cheese mixture into the center of one wonton wrapper. Dip your finger into the beaten egg and lightly coat the outer edges.
FOLD. Bring all the corners of the wonton together up to the center and pinch to seal. Slide your fingers on all the sides together to form an “X” or star appearance, and make sure they are sealed (or else the filling may come out). You can add more egg wash if needed. Repeat for remaining wontons.
BAKE. Place the folded wontons on a baking sheet and lightly spray the tops and sides with olive oil spray, then turn each rangoon onto one side. Bake at 375 degrees F for 5-6 minutes flip to the other side to bake 5-6 minutes more (or until tops are golden brown in color).
SERVE. Serve straight out of the oven with your favorite dipping sauce:
- Duck sauce: which is a type of sweet and sour sauce
- Thai sauce
- Soy sauce
- Hoisin Sauce
Not only can you change the flavor by using different dipping sauces, but you can add flavor to the cream cheese.
- Omit the onions and garlic and instead mix the cream cheese with some Nutella
- Mix the cream cheese with your favorite jam—strawberry, raspberry, or blueberry
- Add a bit of shredded cheddar cheese to the cream cheese
- Add some cooked crab to the filling for yummy crab rangoons
- Add some of your favorite spices to the cream cheese mixture like: garlic powder or lemon pepper
Cook in the air fryer: spray with olive oil. Place rangoons in a single layer, set the fryer to 350° and fry for 7 min.
Where to buy wonton wrappers? Wonton wrappers can be found at most grocery stores. I have seen them in the refrigerated section in the produce area, or the Chinese food section in the frozen food area. I suggest that you skip the search and just ask a store employee.
Can you make ahead of time? If you want to make these ahead of time and keep them in the freezer, you can. I don’t suggest storing unbaked rangoons in the fridge because the wonton wrappers will dry out too quickly.
- Once you have the rangoons assembled, line them up in a singles layer on a tray then stick it in the freezer.
- Freeze them until they are solid then transfer them to a freezer safe container or Ziploc.
- Freeze for 2-3 months
- To bake: allow them to thaw for 10-15 minutes before baking according to recipe directions.
How to store? Store leftover rangoons in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days, or in the freezer for about 2 weeks.
How to reheat? Reheat them in the oven: Preheat the oven to 325°F and bake until warm, about 5-8 minutes or 8-10 minutes if frozen.
For more homemade asian dishes, try:
- Kung Pao Chicken
- Asian Noodle Salad
- Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Fried Rice
- Moo Goo Gai Pan
- Fortune Cookie Recipe
Baked Cream Cheese Rangoon Recipe
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 clove minced garlic minced
- dash salt
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1 egg
- 24 square wonton wrappers
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, garlic, salt and onions until well mixed.
- Whisk egg until well beaten in a small bowl.
- Place one teaspoon of cream cheese mixture into the center of one wonton wrapper. Dip your finger into the beaten egg and lightly coat the outer edges.
- Bring all the corners of the wonton together up to the center and pinch. Slide your fingers on all the sides together to form an "X" or star appearance, and make sure they are sealed (or else the filling may come out). You can add more egg wash if needed. Repeat for remaining wontons.
- Lightly spray the tops and sides of the wontons with olive oil spray. Place on foil lined baking sheet on their side.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 5 minutes and then flip to the other side and bake an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce, out of the oven.
- AIR FRYER INSTRUCTIONS: Cook at 350 for 7 minutes.