Oh man, I love Asian food! I’ve blogged about this love before, and I’m grateful that most of my family loves it as well. Back in Arizona, we would have Asian food ALL. THE. TIME! I loved it! Having said that, I have also blogged before about how my hubby isn’t a huge fan of it. Insert sad face. 🙁 Because of that and now being away from family, I don’t get my Asian food fix as much as I’d like but I still try to sneak it in at least once a month. The hubby does like some of the chicken recipes and LOVES the egg rolls and wontons (how could you not like these fried foods?), so I try to make those for him to fill up on. 😉
One of the recipes my little sister would make is today’s Fried Rice recipe. It is a favorite of ours, and I finally tried making it recently only to find out how easy and delicious it is. It tastes like it came straight from the restaurant and is very simple.
What I love is, this fried rice can be made with white rice or brown rice, but we think the brown rice tastes just as good and is a lot healthier for you. 😉 To make you will heat your oil in a large skillet or wok on medium high heat. From there, add the garlic, peas and carrots mix. Stir fry until tender (about 5 minutes). Lower the heat to medium low and push the veggie mixture off to one side. Then pour your eggs on the other side of skillet and stir fry until scrambled. Next add the rice and soy sauce and mix all together. Stir fry until thoroughly heated!
I highly recommend making this, especially if you are celebrating the Chinese New Year!
How to make Fried Rice:
- 3 cups cooked brown rice (white works too, but brown taste just as good and is better for you!)
- 3 TB sesame oil
- ½ cup frozen peas (thawed)
- ⅓ cup shredded carrots, chopped
- (or 1 cup frozen peas/carrots combo, thawed)
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- Heat your oil in a large skillet or wok on medium high heat.
- Add the garlic, peas and carrots mix. Stir fry until tender (8-10 minutes).
- Lower the heat to medium low and push the mixture off to one side.
- Pour your eggs on the other side of skillet and stir fry until scrambled. Next add the rice and soy sauce and mix all together. Stir fry until thoroughly heated!
Some of our favorite Asian dishes: