Sweet & Savory Sesame Chicken recipe that is a crowd pleaser served over rice or noodles. It is perfect for dinner and makes the most tender, flavorful chicken.
Sweet, savory! And so good!
I’m sharing more Chinese food recipes for you!!!
One of my favorite dishes is Honey Sesame Chicken. It has been a favorite of mine for as long as I can remember! I’d have to say that today’s recipe along with Teriyaki Chicken are my all-time favorites. There’s a bit of sweetness and a whole bunch of delicious-ness that can’t be beat!
Well, today’s recipe is one my mom adapted from HERE. The entire family LOVED this recipe and have already requested it again. I don’t blame them, because it tastes amazing and is simple to make. Like many Asian-American dishes, the sauce is sweet, salty and very flavorful.
How to make Sesame Chicken
CHICKEN. Cut your chicken breasts into bite size pieces. Put chicken, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil and sugar in a bag and marinate for 1-2 hours then drain chicken.
Add vegetable oil to a shallow pan on medium heat. Mix cornstarch, flour, salt and pepper in a large Ziploc bag.
In 3 batches, add chicken to flour mixture, shake gently to coat, and then toss in your frying pan until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
SESAME CHICKEN SAUCE: Mix honey, oyster sauce, chili sauce, ketchup, soy sauce and water in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil then simmer until sauce begins to thicken.
Pour sauce over chicken pieces and toss. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.
Are you drooling yet? I know I am!
Tips and substitutions:
- Rice Vinegar: You can easily substitute with Cider Vinegar or lemon juice.
- Sugar: Either white sugar or brown sugar works well for this recipe.
- Mix the sauce in advance (store in the fridge for up to 2 days)
- Use the right oil temperature: Keep the oil around 350 degrees F. If the oil is too cold, then the chicken will become too greasy. If the oil is too hot, the outside will burn before the chicken is cooked through.
- Slightly healthier version: You can skip the coating and saute chicken breast pieces in a bit of oil, then proceed with the sauce as directed.
How to make it crispy?
You’ll get some crisp by sautéing the coated chicken. If you want a crisper coating try doubling the coating. Remove the chicken from the marinade and toss the pieces in cornstarch.
Add second coating by either dipping in the marinade again or mix an egg in a separate bowl to dip then toss in corn starch a second time. Cook until golden brown.
Freezing + Reheating
How to make sesame chicken into a freezer meal? Cook chicken and sauce according to directions. Let cool and place in separate airtight freezer containers. Freeze both for up to 4 months.
When you’re ready to use thaw chicken and sauce in the refrigerator. Reheat the chicken in a saute pan with a little oil. Heat the sauce up in a saucepan on the stove. Once they are both warm pour the sauce over the chicken. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve
How to reheat sesame chicken? If you are in a hurry you can reheat the honey sesame chicken in the microwave in 30 second increments stirring in between. For a better leftover flavor reheat in a reheat in a saute pan with a little oil.
What to serve with Sesame Chicken:
Here are some of our favorite things to serve with sesame chicken:
Can’t go wrong with serving this dish with any of these sides. They’re all so good!
For more asian chicken recipes, check out:
- Lemon Chicken
- Crock Pot Cashew Chicken
- Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Chicken Stir Fry
- Kung Pao Chicken
- Crockpot Orange Chicken
Sesame Chicken Recipe
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 4 tbsp ketchup
- 4 tbsp lower sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- sesame seeds toasted
- Cut your chicken breasts into bite size pieces.
- Put chicken, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil and sugar in a bag and marinate for 1-2 hours then drain chicken.
- Add vegetable oil to a shallow pan on medium heat.
- Mix cornstarch, flour, salt and pepper in a large ziploc bag.
- In 3 batches, add chicken to flour mixture, shake gently to coat, and then toss in your frying pan until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Mix honey, oyster sauce, chili sauce, ketchup, soy sauce and water in a medium sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil then simmer until sauce begins to thicken.
- Pour sauce over chicken pieces and toss.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.