This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
No need for a rice cooker when you have a crock pot in your cupboard! Follow our recipe for crock pot rice—it’s the easiest method!
Another Way to Cook Rice
There are a lot of ways to cook rice, but this one is great for when you don’t have a rice cooker.
You just need your crock pot and a few hours to slow cook the rice! It does take 2-3 hours on the high setting, so it’s not ideal for when you need quick rice. But this crock pot rice turns out so soft and fluffy every time.
We eat rice with lots of our dinners. I’ve listed some of our favorite main dishes to serve the rice with down below—check them out! If you’ve never tried making rice in the slow cooker, now is your chance.
Which Rice to Use?
We tried a few different options, but Uncle Ben’s Converted White Rice worked the best.
Converted rice is actually rice that has been partially boiled. While the rice is still in the husk, it is soaked, steamed, dried and removed from the husk. Because of this, the grains are more firm and better able to withstand longer cook time without becoming mushy.
Parboiled rice is more nutritious and has a lower glycemic index than standard white rice.
How to Cook Rice in a Crock Pot?
Coat the inside of your crock pot with butter or cooking spray.
Add the converted white rice and water to the crock pot. Be sure to measure exactly. Cover the crock pot with the lid and cook on HIGH heat for 2-3 hours. You’ll want to give a quick stir every 20-30 minutes, so don’t leave it to sit alone.
Once the water has been absorbed, and the rice is soft and fluffy, it should be done. Salt and pepper to taste before serving!
Recipe Tips + Storing
Unlike other white rice, the converted rice should NOT be rinsed before using.
Flavored Rice: If you know what you want to serve your rice with, you may want to flavor the rice. You can do this by using broth instead of water. You can also choose to add spices that compliment the other flavors you plan to serve.
Leftover Rice: Place the cooled leftovers in an airtight storage container. Store in the fridge for 4-5 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months. (Be sure the cooked rice has not been sitting out for longer than 2 hours before storing).
- Microwave: Add a little bit of water to the rice, break up any chunks. Cover the dish and heat for 30-60 seconds. Repeat until hot.
- Stovetop: Place the rice and a splash of water into a saucepan. Cover with a tight fitting lid and heat over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until hot.
What to serve with slow cooker rice?
How to Cook Rice in a Crock Pot
- 3 cups convereted white rice Uncle Ben's converted white rice worked the best
- 6 cups water optional: use chicken or beef stock instead
- butter or cooking spray
- salt and pepper to taste
- Coat the inside of your crock pot with butter or cooking spray.
- Add the converted white rice and water to the crock pot. Be sure to measure exactly.
- Cover the crock pot with the lid and cook on HIGH heat for 2-3 hours. You'll want to give a quick stir every 20-30 minutes so don't leave it to sit alone.
- Once the water has been absorbed, and the rice is soft and fluffy, then the rice is done. Salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.