Simple, quick, and delicious Chicken Stir Fry. This tasty dinner is simple and is filled with broccoli, carrots, and snow peas!
I love all of the flavors in this stir fry dish. We like to serve it over rice or noodles, with a side of cream cheese wontons or egg rolls! It’s simple and great for dinner.
Stir Fry Chicken
Asian food as always been one of my favorite types. Our family has Asian recipes that we make frequently like Orange Chicken and Broccoli Beef. I realized, however, that I didn’t have a Stir Fry recipe! This sesame chicken stir fry recipe is the first one I found and tried to make myself!
Since then, we’ve made other tasty stir fry recipes including Chicken and Edamame, Pork and Broccoli, and even Lemon Chicken and Asparagus!
This recipe has quite a few ingredients, but it’s still very simple. For those who like EASY and delicious Asian dishes, I suggest giving this one a try. I admit that even the hubby who isn’t a huge fan of Asian food said this was delicious and that the chicken was very tender. The kids weren’t huge fans of the broccoli, but they still liked it as well, which is always a bonus. 😉
done in less than 30 minutes
I know it looks like a long ingredient list, but most of the items are simple sauces or seasonings. This recipe isn’t intricate, so don’t be too intimidated!
Sauce. Simply whisk together the corn starch, broth, soy sauce, salt, and ground ginger in a small bowl. Mix until smooth and set aside.
Chicken. Heat oil on medium heat and add the cubed chicken. Cook for about 5 minutes. Put chicken in a bowl and set aside.
Combine. Add soy sauce, minced garlic, and stir fry medley (vegetables) to the skillet and cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly. Add the chicken back to the pan, along with the stir fry sauce. Cook on medium heat until the sauce thickens (about 4-5 minutes) stirring constantly.
Serve. Add salt and pepper if needed, and serve over your choice of rice or noodles!
What is in stir fry medley? Buying a package of “stir fry medley”, which includes fresh broccoli, carrots and snap peas, saves a lot of time. However, you can cut up any combination of your favorite veggies including asparagus and bell peppers. Just weight out 12 oz which is about 1 ½ cups, and follow the recipe.
Can I use frozen stir fry veggies? Yes, but you will have to cook them a while longer with the soy sauce and minced garlic. Make sure they are entirely heated through before adding the chicken and sesame sauce.
Which vegetables are best in a Stir Fry?
There are so many great veggies perfect for stir fry. Just use about 3- 4 cups chopped fresh vegetables. These are our favorites to use in this recipe:
- Stir Fry Veggies: sweet peppers, zucchini, carrots, broccoli, yellow or white onions, green onions, pea pods, cabbage, spinach. asparagus, mushrooms
A great make ahead meal
You can make meal time easy on yourself by either prepping the ingredients ahead of time, or doing it freezer meal style to use later on in the future.
Prep ahead. You can prep all the ingredients 1-2 days ahead of time and store them in separate containers in the fridge until you’re ready to cook them all. You can also store them in separate freezer bags and freeze for 2-3 months.
Freezer meal. If you are freezing the ingredients, you will want to blanch the veggies first (instructions below). When you are ready to use, allow the chicken to thaw in the fridge then cook according to recipe instructions. You can cook the veggies from frozen, just allow a few extra minutes in the skillet.
Blanching. If you’re freezing the ingredients to use later on, blanching will help give the veggies, especially the broccoli, a vibrant appealing color, as well as retain the vitamins. If you do not know how to blanch veggies it is very easy.
- Bring a pot of water to boil.
- Add the cut veggies. The water should return to a boil after 1 minute. At this point boil for for 2-3 more minutes depending on the size of your veggies. You do not want to boil them too much or they’ll get mushy.
- Drain and immediately put the vegetables in cold water.
- Once they’ve cooled, remove from cold water and dry them. At this point they are ready to be put in a bag to freeze.
what to serve with stir fry?
For more stir fry recipes, check out:
Chicken Stir Fry Recipe
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 3 tsp rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp sesame oil or olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 medium chicken breasts cubed
- 12 oz stir fry medley fresh, not frozen
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Make the Sesame sauce by whisking together the corn starch with the rice vinegar in a small bowl. Whisk in the rest of the ingredients and set aside.
- For the chicken, heat oil on medium heat and add chicken. Cook for about 5 minutes. Pour chicken in a bowl and set aside.
- Add soy sauce and minced garlic (and leftover oil if there is any) to the skillet. Add Stir Fry medley and cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the chicken back to the pan along with the stir fry sauce. Cook on medium heat until the sauce thickens (about 4-5 minutes) stirring constantly. Add salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with rice or noodles. ENJOY!
We make stir fry at least once every 2 weeks, definitely throwing this one in the rotation!
Stir frys are my family’s favorite! This one is delicious! I love all the ingredients & my kids even love it!
Stir fry’s are one of my go-to weeknight dinners! Quick, easy and delicious!
We LOVE stir fry at our house and this recipe did not disappoint! I am definitely making this again soon!
This was so good!! a NEW favorite meal in our house!
Delicious- we loved it!
I love stir fries! There healthy and come together pretty quickly. I love the combination of veggies,meat and sauce.
Stri fry is the easiest way i can get my kids to eat veggies. This is a great recipe to throw in the meal rotation.
Yum! This is a perfect dinner idea! Esp when you want Take out but rather have homem.
I made this last week and my kids have asked me to make it again every night! So so GOOD!