This delicious Copycat Oriental Chicken Salad from Applebees is made with breaded chicken, cabbage, romaine, sliced almonds, and more tossed in a flavorful asian dressing!
Who here loves Salad? I’m not lying when I say that I order salad 90% of the time when we go out to eat. So yummy!
I’ve noticed that I have my favorite salad at each restaurant, and my favorite from Applebee’s is their Oriental Chicken Salad. Fortunately, we were able to find a copycat recipe that tastes just like the real thing!!
My favorite part of this salad are all the extra goodies in it, including almonds and the dressing. It’s so hearty and has so many great asian flavors in it. If you’re a salad lover you’ll definitely like this!
homemade oriental Dressing
This tasty oriental dressing is made of just five ingredients!
- rice vinegar
- dijon mustard
- sesame oil
Simply mix the ingredients together, and refrigerate until you’re ready to pour it over the salad. It might be a good idea to serve the dressing on the side so that people can add as little or as much as they’d like. It’s also good so any leftover salad lasts longer in the fridge.
VARIATIONS + TIPS
Oriental Salad Variations: Salads are so easy to adjust to fit your favorite flavors and this one is no different. However, with too many alterations, it may not be considered a copycat, but that’s ok. As long as you love it! Here are a few of our ideas:
- Chicken: instead of Panko crumbs you can use crushed corn flakes or Ritz crackers
- Mandarin oranges
- Chopped roasted cashews
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Diced bell pepper
Can I make this ahead of time? Yes, you can make this up to a day ahead of time. Also, store the chicken in its own airtight container.
Place all other ingredients in the salad bowl, cover with a paper towel to help soak up excess moisture and cover with plastic wrap or a lid. Right before serving remove the lid and paper towel, then add the chicken and dressing.
Can I air fry the chicken? Of course! Using an air fryer is easy and a little healthier. Simply preheat the air fryer to 350° F. Arrange strips in the basket, making sure they are not touching. Cook the chicken for about 12 minutes or until the internal temperature is 165° F. You may need to cook the chicken in batches.
You can also bake them in the oven. Preheat oven to 425° F and bake for 15-20 minutes.
For more salad recipes, check out:
- Steak and Tortellini Salad
- Asian Pasta Salad
- Chicken and Berry Salad
- Chicken Caesar Salad
- Buffalo Chicken Salad
- Honey Mustard Chicken Avocado Chicken Salad
Applebee’s Oriental Chicken Salad Recipe
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 ½ tbsp rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- ⅛ tsp sesame oil
- 2 chicken breast
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup panko
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 3 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 4 cups romaine lettuce chopped
- ½ cup red cabbage chopped
- ½ cup napa cabbage chopped
- 1 carrot shredded
- 3 tbsp sliced almonds
- Blend together all dressing ingredients and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- In a large saucepan preheat oil over medium-high heat.
- While that is warming up, cut your chicken breast into several long thin strips. Set aside.
- Beat egg and milk together in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, panko, salt and pepper. Dip the strips in the egg mixture, and then into the flour, coating completely.
- When oil is hot, carefully add chicken strips and fry for 3-4 minutes or until cooked through or golden brown. Set on a paper towel to cool. Once cool, cut into bite size pieces.
- To prepare your salad, combine the romaine, red cabbage, napa cabbage and carrots. Add chopped chicken pieces and sprinkle with almonds. Top with delicious honey oriental dressing and enjoy!