Bright & Flavorful Asian Citrus Chicken Salad topped with crunchy wontons and a fruity vinaigrette is a family favorite!!
You better believe I’ll still go to Zupa’s and get this salad, but I’m glad we can make a very similar version at home that tastes just as good!! Another one of my favorite copycat salads from Zupas is the Strawberry Harvest Salad! Give them both a try.
A Zupa’s Copycat!
Have you ever been to Zupa’s? It’s one of our favorite restaurants here in the Phoenix area. They are known for their delicious sandwiches, soups, and salads. I typically get a salad and panini when I’m there, and one of my favorite salads is their Asian Citrus Chicken Salad.
The last time I was there, I was sure to make notes of all the ingredients so I could try and make it at home. Although it isn’t exact, I thought the salad tasted pretty similar and was delicious! The salad is filled with so many of my favorite ingredients, including chicken, cucumbers, peppers, wontons, edamame and a delicious Asian Citrus vinaigrette dressing.
The combination of flavors is amazing and makes it the perfect salad to serve at any function. If you love salads as much as we do, then this is another one you’ll want to try.
How to Make It
SALAD. Add all salad ingredients to a large bowl.
DRESSING. In a blender or small food processor, puree all ingredients for the dressing (except oils) until combined. Slowly add oils with blender running until all of the oil has been added.
SERVE + ENJOY! Pour dressing over salad right before serving. ENJOY!
Recipe Tips + Storing Info
- Wonton Strips: You can typically find the Wonton strips at any grocery store in the salad dressing aisle near the croutons.
- Chicken: I prefer using diced grilled chicken but you can use rotisserie chicken or any leftover chicken you have on hand.
- Mandarin Oranges: If you can, purchase the Mandarin oranges in water. The ones in light syrup will work as well but you may want to rinse them with water and pat them dry.
MAKE AHEAD: Salads are great because you can prep all the ingredients before and then toss it all together right before you will be serving it.
- Prep all the ingredients the day before and store them in separate containers in the fridge or counter if applicable.
- Dressing: I believe the dressing is best when made the same day it will be served, but you can also prepare the dressing a day in advance just store it in an airtight container in the fridge. Shake it up or blend to mix it all together before using.
To STORE, only add Mandarin oranges, wonton strips and dressing to what will be eaten that day. Then, store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-4 days. Store the dressing in a separate airtight container. It will last in the fridge for 4-5 days.
Storing an already tossed salad can also be done, just know the wontons will get soft and mandarins will make the salad a bit wet. Eat within 1-2 days.
And for even more salad recipes, here are more favorites:
Asian Citrus Chicken Salad Recipe
- 3-4 cups Mixed greens
- 2 chicken breasts grilled and cut
- 3/4 cup Edamame cooked and shelled
- 1/2 Red Pepper
- 1 cup Baby cucumber
- 1 cup Mandarin oranges
- Wonton Strips
Asian Citrus Vinaigrette Dressing
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp agave nector or honey
- 1/4 tsp chili paste or sriracha (add more or less depending on how spicy you like it)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp ginger fresh and grated or ground
- 1/4 cup mixed sesame oil and grapeseed oil or canola oil
- Add all salad ingredients to a large bowl.
- In a blender or small food processor, puree all ingredients for the dressing (except oils) until combined. Slowly add oils with blender running until all of the oil has been added.
- Pour dressing over salad right before serving. ENJOY!
I love the range of colors in this salad. The mandarin slices really stand out, not imagined of adding it in a salad. I initially thought the wanton strips was fried pork skin. Somehow, I feel this salad goes well with fish sauce.
You’ll have to try adding mandarin oranges..they add a great flavor 🙂 Thanks so much for stopping by!
ohhh, very nice, I could almost taste the vinaigrette haha. Very nice presentation thank you.
LOL..thank you so much! It really is so good..I hope you give it a try 🙂
I love all Asian salads!! This one has fresh, tasty flavors! Love the dressing!
This was absolutely incredible! The flavors are super fresh and it was so nice to have this and switch up my normal salad routine. Thank you!
This sounds so tasty! Looking forward to giving it a try.
Thank you! Hope you enjoy the salad!
Made this last night, my husband and I loved it! Will be making it again. Thank you
I love Asian anything! This salad does not disappoint. Made with a great dressing too!
All the ingredients of this salad come together perfectly. It’s easy to make and delicious.