This is not your typical coleslaw recipe! This Asian Coleslaw is light and refreshing, filled with crushed ramen noodles, slivered almonds, sunflower seeds, and chicken, and covered in a yummy Asian dressing!
What is Chinese Coleslaw?
You may have seen recipes like this on Pinterest before – Asian Coleslaw, Chinese Coleslaw, Oriental Coleslaw – so what is it exactly? I’ll tell you what it’s NOT. It’s not your typical soggy, mayo-based slaw that you get as a side with a fried chicken combo meal. It’s actually really light and refreshing, with some deliciously crunchy ingredients! The Ramen noodles, slivered almonds, and soy sauce add an Oriental twist to this coleslaw, hence its name. If you’ve ever had salads with ramen noodle bits in it, then you know they add a crunchy and delicious touch to the dish. This coleslaw is no different!
This recipe is SO easy to throw together and is one of our favorite side dishes/salads to make for holidays, barbecues, or get togethers. It’s always a hit, and because it’s so light, people often eat multiple servings. It takes Cole Slaw to a whole new level and is a great summertime recipe to try out. Everyone who has had Asian Coleslaw loves it, and I think you’ll like it too!
How to Make Asian Coleslaw:
As I mentioned before, this recipe only takes a few minutes to put together, which is why it’s such a great side dish for parties and get togethers. All you have to do is:
- Break up Ramen Noodles into small pieces and place them in a pan. Add 1/2 cup of butter, the almonds, and the sunflower seeds. Cook them for about 8-10 minutes on low-medium heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the coleslaw, ramen noodle mixture, and cooked chicken cubes.
- Make the dressing by combining the rice vinegar, sugar, olive oil, soy sauce, and mustard in a small bowl.
- Add dressing to the coleslaw and mix well. Serve chilled, and enjoy!
Simple as that! You can make it a few hours ahead, and stick it in the fridge until you’re ready to serve it. It will keep in the fridge for a little while without getting soggy.
I love this Asian twist on typical coleslaw! After having this, I don’t know if I could ever go back to anything else! With all the parties and family gatherings we have coming up, I’m sure we’ll be making some Asian Slaw fairly often.
Check out more of our favorite Asian salad recipes including:
Asian Slaw Recipe:
- 2 Ramen Noodle packages (without seasoning packets)
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 1½ cups cooked chicken (cubed)
- ⅓ cup rice vinegar
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 TB soy sauce
- 1 TB mustard (optional)
- 1 package of coleslaw
- Break up Ramen Noodles into small pieces and place in a pan. Add ½ cup butter, almonds, and sunflower seeds and cook for 8-10 minutes on low-medium heat.
- In a large bowl, add coleslaw, ramen noodle mixture and chicken.
- Make dressing by combining rice vinegar, sugar, olive oil, soy sauce, and mustard in a small bowl.
- Add dressing and mix well. Serve coleslaw chilled.
Recipe adapted from Jan D’atri.