This is our all-time favorite Steak Marinade. It requires only four ingredients, and makes steak taste SO amazing!
Grilling season is upon us, which means you can find us regularly cooking steaks, chicken, and burgers for dinner. We are always whipping up a batch of this easy Steak Marinade to add ALL the flavor!
our fav marinade – only 4 ingredients!
One of the best and most nostalgic things about summer is BBQ dinners!! Who’s with me?! Have you ever gone out for a walk or drive and caught a “whiff” of the heavenly smell of someone grilling? Delicious, right?!
Usually, the smell is meat – someone grilling delicious steak, chicken, or ribs on the grill. Today we are sharing our all-time favorite Steak Marinade that is simple and makes your steak taste so delicious.
The hubby and I LOVE to grill steak for special occasions and this marinade is always our go-to. And the best part? It only requires 4 ingredients.
We got this recipe from a neighbor years ago, and I’m not sure that we’ll ever find another Steak Marinade Recipe that beats it!
How to Marinate Steak
This Marinade for Steak is perfect for 2 whole steaks. If you are grilling more, then double the recipe for every two steaks added.
As I mentioned, this Easy Steak Marinade only requires 4 ingredients (and the 4th ingredient is even optional!).
- Italian Dressing
- A1 Sauce – the original flavor
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Lemon juice or Lime juice (totally optional, just adds a little zest!)
MIX. Combine each of these steak marinade ingredients into a gallon-sized Ziploc bag or small bowl and mix. Once they’re mixed, add your steak.
MARINATE. We love flat iron steaks – they don’t have too much fat, are fairly inexpensive, and are really delicious!
GRILL. Once they have marinated long enough, throw them on the grill, and cook them to your liking.
How long to marinate
- To get the benefits of the Flank Steak Marinade I suggest marinating for at least 4 hours. I like to marinate my steak overnight, about 8-12 hours.
- Marinating not only adds flavor but the acid in the marinade helps to tenderize the meat as well. The longer you marinate a steak the more the marinade can break down the tissues in the meat. For this reason, do not marinate for longer than 24 hours otherwise the meat to become too mushy and cook up tough and dry.
- Marinate at room temperature for up to 1 hour. Any longer and you’ll need to use the refrigerator.
Simple Steak Marinade tips:
- Poke a few holes in the steak with a fork to allow the marinade to easily reach the center of the meat.
- Be sure that you have enough marinade for the amount of meat. Flip the steak halfway during the marinating time to ensure all sides get coated.
Key Marinating components
A great steak marinade has 3 key components. The components can be mixed and matched to create so many flavor combinations.
The components should be balanced and given ample time to marinate the beef.
- Fats enhance flavors and moisturizes. Use coconut oil, olive oil, sesame oil, duck fat, butter, or an oil-based salad dressing.
- Acid to tenderize and flavor. Use vinegar, wine, citrus, or buttermilk.
- Flavor not only enhances the taste but helps with caramelization: Try herbs, spices, sauces, sugar, honey, garlic, onions, chilis, pepper, salt, or onion powder.
Italian dressing. I don’t have a favorite brand and have successfully made this recipe using whatever brand was on sale that week. Note: You will be using 1 cup of the liquid dressing, not a powdered Italian seasoning mix.
A1 Sauce is a commonly found steak sauce in the U.S. A very similar product outside the US would be HP sauce. It is a bit tangier and spicier than A1 sauce, so you may wish to balance the flavor by adding a bit of sugar.
BEST CUTS FOR THE GRILL
- Flat Irons/Skirt Steak
- Top Sirloin
- Round Steak
- New York Strip Steak
- Flank Steak
Prime cuts like filet mignon, ribeye, or other premium aged beef are already flavorful and tender so pass on marinating those. There are still several other cuts of beef perfect for marinating.
Remember to sear the steak over direct heat.
- Thinner steaks will cook sufficiently with searing.
- For a thinker cut: once seared, move to indirect heat to finish cooking.
Tips for the Grill
- Start with a clean grill and add a little vegetable or olive oil to the grate before heating.
- Allow the steaks to come to room temperature before putting them on the grill.
- Only flip the steak once.
- Let the meat rest after taking it off the grill. The steak will continue to cook a bit and the juices will distribute.
- Never reuse this best Steak Marinade once it has come in contact with raw meat. To use the Steak Marinade Recipe to baste the meat or to make a sauce, set some aside BEFORE adding raw meat.
Other cooking methods. Grilled steak is my absolute favorite. Thankfully that’s not the only way to can cook a marinated steak. Use a cast-iron skillet or a grill pan to cook the steak on the stovetop.
How to tell when your steak is done
For steaks that are 1.5” or thicker, use a meat thermometer. Start by charring them over HIGH heat then moving them to a section set to LOW heat to finish cooking.
- Rare: 120°F
- Medium Rare: 130°F
- Medium: 140°F
For thinner steaks, use a timer and cook over high heat.
- Rare: 3 minutes on each side
- Medium Rare: 4 minutes on each side
- Medium: 5 minutes on each side
what to serve with steak:
FREEZE marinating meat. Freezing stops the marinating process so it is safe to add your meat to a marinade and then keep it in the freezer until ready to thaw and cook.
- Meat must be frozen before the freeze-by date.
- For best results, do not freeze in a marinade for longer than 3 months.
- Thaw in the fridge.
STORE. After cooking the meat in Homemade Steak Marinade, store it in a Ziploc bag and place it in the fridge for 3-4 days.
FREEZE. Wrap the steak tightly and place it in a freezer bag for up to 3 months.
Using leftover steak
If we have leftover steak, we also like to use it in these recipes:
For more grilling recipes:
- Grilled Huli Huli Chicken
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Skewers
- Chicken Souvlaki
- Delicious Chicken Marinade
- Mustard Chicken and Pineapple Skewers
- Fajita Marinade
- Carne Asada Marinade
Steak Marinade Recipe
- 1 cup Italian dressing
- ½ cup A.1. Original sauce
- ½ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice optional
- 1 pound steak of choice (flat-iron, skirt, top sirloin or flank steak)
- Combine dressing, A.1. sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and lemon juice in a large resealable plastic bag or airtight container. Mix well.
- Add steak to the marinade, making sure it is coated on all sides.
- Place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 4 hours or up to –36 hours.
- When ready to cook, preheat the grill to 450–500°F. Allow steaks to come to room temperature.
- Place steaks on the grill and cook until golden brown and slightly charred (4–5 minutes). Flip steaks over and continue to grill to the desired doneness (see below; 5–7 minutes for medium).
- Let meat rest for 5 minutes before serving. The steak will continue to cook a bit and the juices will distribute.
This looks really tasty, going to have to try it!!! We are the type of people that grill all year and this looks like something we would try out!!
Hope you enjoy the marinade! It’s a definitely a year round recipe for us too.
We are new to barbecuing (just bought a new barbecue and it took a month for my husband to put it together) and sadly my husband isn’t learning quickly enough. His last attempt was flavorless steak that was burnt on the outside and raw on the inside. I had to finish cooking them on the stove to make them more edible (barely). Thank you for the recipe and cooking times and how to cook them. Hopefully he will bookmark this recipe and use it on his next attempt.
Yes, this is such an easy recipe and make the steaks SO tasty!!
I love this marinade! With four simple ingredients, it’s fast and easy to put together in a hurry. It is very flavorful and helps keep the meat moist.
This marinade was delicious. It got great reviews from my family to use it again when we have steaks. Thank you for the simplicity and absolute delicious recipe!
Had everything and i had my doubts about using a bottled dressing – but i had a Trader Joe’s balsamic and used that – delicious – Thank you
Really enhanced the steak and made it so flavorful!
Easy to make and great taste!
Really love this one. Used it on steak and pork. Came out wonderfully
This steak looks so good! Perfect for my birthday dinner this weekend. I want potato salad, corn on the cob, and bbq beans with it!!
sounds like a partly. happy birthday!
looks like an amazing marinade. will be trying this for our first steak bbq.
Love the steak marinade, and easy to make.
This is one I am DEFINITELY going to try!! It’s so hard for me to get steak perfect, you make this look soooo easy!!! A keeper for sure!!
Making steak tomorrow will use this marinade
See More Comments