This is Our All-Time Favorite Steak marinade! It requires only four ingredients, and makes our steak taste SO amazing! Everyone always asks for this Easy Steak Marinade recipe because it’s just that good!!
our fav marinade – only 4 ingredients!
One of the best and nostalgic things about the summer are BBQ dinners!! Who’s with me?! Have you ever gone out for a walk or drive and catch a “whiff” of the heavenly smell of someone grilling—delicious, right?
Usually the smell is meat – someone grilling delicious steak, chicken or ribs on the grill. Today we are sharing our all-time favorite marinade that is simple and makes your steak taste so delicious.
The hubby and I LOVE to grill steak for special occasions and this marinade is always our go-to. And best part? It only required 4 ingredients. We got it from a neighbor years ago, and I’m not sure that we’ll ever find another Steak Marinade Recipe that beats it!
How to make steak marinade
**Note**: This marinade is perfect for 2 whole steaks. If you are grilling more, then double the recipe for every two steaks you’re adding.
As I mentioned, this marinade only requires 3 ingredients (with an optional 4th ingredient).
- Italian Dressing
- A1 Sauce – the original flavor
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Lemon juice (totally optional, just adds a little zest!)
MIX. All you have to do is throw each of these ingredients into a gallon sized ziploc bag or tupperware container and mix them. Once they’re mixed, add your steak.
MARINATE. We love flat iron steaks – they don’t have too much fat, are fairly inexpensive, and really delicious! Let the steak marinade for 24 hours – or at least 12.
GRILL. Once they have marinated long enough, throw them on the grill, cook them to your liking.
What are the best meats to grill?
Here are seven of the best cuts for the grill. Remember to sear the steak over direct heat. Thinner steaks will cook sufficiently with searing. For a thinker cut: once seared, move to indirect heat to finish cooking.
- Flat Irons
- Top Sirloin
- Strip Steak
- Flank Steak
Steak Grilling Tips:
- Start with a clean grill and add a little vegetable or olive oil to the grate before heating.
- Allow the steaks to come to room temperature before putting them on the grill.
- Only flip the steak once.
- Let the meat rest after taking it off the grill. The steak will continue to cook a bit and the juices will distribute.
How to tell when your steak is done: For steaks that are 1.5” or thicker, use a thermometer. Start by charring them over High heat then moving them to a section set to low heat to finish cooking.
- Rare: 120°F
- Medium Rare: 130°F
- Medium: 140°F
For thinner steaks, use a timer and cook over high heat
- Rare: 3 minutes each side
- Medium Rare: 4 minutes each side
- Medium: 5 minutes each side
steak TIPS & FAQ
What can I substitute for A1 steak sauce? If you don’t have A1 sauce you can make your own by combining:
- ½ cup ketchup + 2 Tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- OR ⅓ cup lemon juice with ½ cup ketchup + salt and pepper to taste
Either of these work as great substitutes for A1.
How long should I marinate the steak for? Generally longer is better. Two hours is sufficient if you’re in a hurry but 12 – 24 hours or more is ideal. This allows the marinade to really get into the meat and make it more flavorful.
How to store/freeze steak? After being cooked, store it in a Ziploc bag and place in the fridge for 3-4 days. You can also wrap it tightly and place in a freezer safe bag, freezing for up to 3 months. If we have leftover steak, we also like to use it in these recipes:
Every time we use this Steak Marinade, everyone asks for the recipe because it’s just THAT GOOD!! I’m so glad that the weather is warming up, because that means it’s grilling season, and we’ll be cooking up some steaks for sure. 😉
what to serve with steak:
For more grilling recipes, check out:
- Grilled Huli Huli Chicken
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Skewers
- Chicken Souvlaki
- Delicious Chicken Marinade
- Mustard Chicken and Pineapple Skewers
- Grilled Street Corn
- Fajita Marinade
- Carne Asada Marinade
Easy Steak Marinade Recipe
- 1 c Italian Dressing
- 1/2 c A1 Original
- 1/2 c Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp lemon juice optional
- Place all your ingredients in a gallon bag or tupperware. Mix well.
- Add your steak (we prefer Flat Irons because they are tender and fairly inexpensive).
- Let marinade for 24-36 hours. You can even do 12 hours if you'd like but I think it's better if it's for at least 24 hours.
- Grill and ENJOY!