Easy Strawberry Shortcake is one of the easiest desserts you’ll ever make!! It’s light, refreshing and perfect for summer.
Easy Strawberry Shortcake is a simplified version of our Classic Strawberry Shortcake, and is sure to please! If you’re a huge shortcake fan, you might also like Strawberry Shortcake Kabobs or this yummy Poke Cake!
The Easiest Strawberry Shortcake ever!
We LOVE this Easy Strawberry Shortcake. It is the simplest dessert you will ever make. Plus it’s always a home run with whoever eats it. It’s perfect for any occasion!
The sponge cake cups used in this recipe can be found at any grocery store, usually in the bakery section. Buy 1-2 cups per person that you will be serving. The sponge cakes soak up the strawberry juice and it makes them SO tasty.
Get the kids involved in this recipe—it’s so easy, even toddlers can help! They will love assembling the cakes and eating them.
Since the fresh strawberries are the star of this dessert, you’ll want to choose the best possible ones. Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Strawberries do not continue to ripen once they’re picked so choose berries that are a nice red from stem to tip.
- Buy local and in season. This will help ensure the berries are as ripe as possible and it saves a little money.
- Ripe berries should have a nice sweet aroma.
- Cut strawberries can last, covered, in the fridge for 3-4 days.
How to Make Easy Strawberry Shortcake
BERRIES. Wash and dry the strawberries. Then slice them into halves or quarters. Place the sliced strawberries into a container. Add the sugar and place a lid on top. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes until the sugar has dissolved.
ASSEMBLE. Place each dessert cake cup onto a different serving plate. Smother with strawberries and top with whipped cream. Layer a second cake cup on top and repeat!
You can use either Homemade Whipped Cream or store bought. Both are delicious options!
Variations and Storage
- For more quick cake options, you can pick up a pound cake or an angel food cake from your local bakery. Slice and top with berries.
- For a more homemade version, try using a Chiffon or Angel Food Cake.
- As much as I love a good strawberry flavor, you can easily add other fruits such as raspberries, blueberries, bananas.
STORE the sponge cakes, strawberries, and whipped cream in separate containers. The sponge cakes will get too soggy if the are stored with the strawberries on top.
For more strawberry recipes, try:
- Strawberry Pound Cake
- Fresh Strawberry Cupcakes
- Strawberry Shortcake Poke Cake
- No Bake Cheesecake with Strawberry Sauce
Easy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 1 quart strawberries sliced
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1-12 oz sponge cake dessert cups
- 1- 7 oz can whipped cream to taste
- Place the slices strawberries into a container. Add the sugar and place a lid on top. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes until the sugar has dissolved.
- Place each dessert cake cup into a different serving bowl. Smother with strawberries and top with whipped cream.