This Strawberry Shortcake Poke Cake is the perfect cool and refreshing dessert. Yellow cake with strawberry gelatin poked throughout, topped with a delicious whipped topping and fresh strawberries – everyone loves this strawberry poke cake!
Poke cake is one of our favorite types of cakes to eat in the summer time—especially ones with fresh fruit, like our banana pudding poke cake and lemon lime poke cake!
Shortcake Poke Cake
During the summer months, I like to make a cool dessert for get togethers and BBQ’s. I have several favorites including Kansas City Dirt Cake and Brownie Delight, but my all-time favorite summer dessert is Poke Cake!
A close second would be Strawberry Short Cake, so I was inspired to combine the two, and make Strawberry Shortcake Poke Cake!
It’s a yellow cake base, with strawberry gelatin poked throughout, and topped with a delicious whipped topping and fresh strawberries! SO delicious and refreshing! In my opinion, you can’t go wrong with anything strawberry. 😉
MAKING & BAKING:
This cake does take a little time but is still very simple. The most time is actually just letting the JELL-O set up which requires refrigerating for 3-4 hours. Here is what you’ll need to do to make this delicious cake. 😉
CAKE MIX. Make Yellow Cake by following directions on box. Once the cake is out, take a fork and poke it all over.
JELLO. While cake is still warm, make jell-o by adding mix to 1 cup hot water and dissolving and then adding 1 cup cold water. Spoon this liquid over the top of the cake, making sure it goes through the holes made by the fork. Refrigerate for 4 hours.
TOPPING. When ready to serve make frosting by mixing cream cheese, and powdered sugar in a medium bowl. Add vanilla. Mix to well combined. Fold in Whipped cream (or cool whip). Spread over cake.
Spread sliced strawberries over the frosting or add individually to each cake square. ENJOY!
TIPS for Strawberry poke cake:
- You can use a cake made from scratch, a box cake, or a store bought cake.
- White cake also pairs well with strawberries.
- For larger deposits of jello in the cake use the end of a wooden spoon, or even your pinky finger. Poke holes about 1 inch apart.
- Add a layer of strawberry pie filling over the top of the cake, then finish it of with frosting and fresh berries.
- For a nice clean slice, wipe the knife after each cut.
- Don’t forget to FOLD in the whip cream
MORE TIPS, tricks & storing – oh my!
Does the cake need to be 9×13? Nope! You can easily follow the instructions on the box to make 2 round pans or cupcakes.
- Use 2 round cakes to make a delicious and pretty layered cake. Bake cakes, poke holes add jello and chill. Once the round cakes have been chilled remove them from the pan. Frost the top of one cake then place the second cake on top. Decorate the very top with more frosting and strawberries.
- You can also make cupcakes. Simply poke holes in the cupcakes with a fork, carefully spoon jello over each cupcake and chill. Top with frosting and berries.
Can I speed up the chill time? You don’t need the gelatin to set like normal jello would, but it will take a few hours. To speed up the process put the cake in the freezer for about an hour – just long enough to set the jello, but not freeze the cake.
To make this dessert even faster purchase a pre-made unfrosted cake from your local bakery.
Do I have to use a box mix? Nope! You can make yellow cake from scratch using any recipe. Once the cake has cooled, follow the recipe as written.
How to store?
- Refrigerate: Because of the jello, keep the cake chilled. Store in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- Freeze: Normally you wouldn’t want to freeze jello, but because the cake absorbs the liquid it doesn’t set in the typical jello fashion. To freeze, wrap cake tightly with plastic wrap, then again with aluminum foil. Label and freeze for up to 3 months.
Note: If the cake is frosted, then you’ll need to flash freeze it first. You do this by placing individual pieces on a baking sheet, making sure they are not touching. Freeze for 2-3 hours, or until the outside is frozen, then wrap in plastic and foil, label and return to the freezer. Do not freeze with strawberries on it.
We love this combo of our favorite desserts!! It had a moist and cool cake layer filled with Jell-o. It was topped off with a delicious cream cheese whipped cream frosting with fresh strawberries on top and is perfect for summer time.
For more strawberry desserts, check out:
- Strawberry Gooey Butter Cake
- Strawberry Sheet Cake
- No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake
- Strawberry Jello Pretzel Salad
- Strawberry Shortcake Kabobs
Strawberry Shortcake Poke Cake Recipe
- 1 Yellow Cake Mix (plus ingredients on back)
- 1 small box instant strawberry JELL-O Raspberry or cherry work too!
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 8 oz. block cream cheese softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups whipped cream
- 2 pints strawberries sliced
- Make Yellow Cake by following directions on box.
- Once the cake is out, take a fork and poke it all over.
- While cake is still warm, make jell-o by adding mix to 1 cup hot water and dissolving and then adding 1 cup cold water. Spoon this liquid over the top of the cake, making sure it goes through the holes made by the fork. Refrigerate for 4 hours.
- When ready to serve make frosting by mixing cream cheese, and powdered sugar in a medium bowl. Add vanilla. Mix to well combined. Fold in Cool Whip. Spread over cake.
- Spread sliced strawberries over the frosting or add individually to each cake square. ENJOY!
I found this recIpe last year and it is now the requested cake for every birthday and HOliday. We love this cake!
I am glad you found it!! Thank you for letting me know!
I like to add a can of strawberry pie filling to my jello and let it gel slightly then pour over cake and let it seep thru cake it’s better to wait over nite and then add your topping!!
Sounds tasty! Thanks for sharing what you do.
I love alL your recipes! Most have become family favorites!
I was looking for a strawberry shortcake recipe for my friend’s bIrthday and i was so glad i found this recioe By you! Thank you! ?
That’s so nice of you!! Thank you so much!! Glad I could share them 🙂
This is a great recipe! It was so easy to make and everyone loved it!!! I am definitely keeping this one. Thank you!
You are welcome 🙂 Glad it’s a keeper! Thank you!
GReat recipe made it For my son birthday Added my own decorations on top as well ?
Perfect!! I hope he liked it! Thank you!
May I ask why do you use a yellow cake mix instead of a white cake ??? Thanks!!
You can totally use a white one 🙂
Easy dessert!. I used the strawberry cake box mix and it was delish! Topped with cool whip and strawberries. No complaints here!😊
I made the round mix and it was so moist the top layer split in half. It was a huge mess but it was sooooo delicious no one cared that it had to be scooped into a bowl to eat lmbo I am making a lemon version today for Easter 😁
Sounds delicious! Let me know how the lemon version goes! 🙂
Perfect everyone loved it
I’m so glad it turned out so well!
Delicious. Grandkids loved it.
Yay!! So happy to hear that! Thanks for sharing.
So so YUMMY!’
Thank you!! So glad to hear you enjoyed it!
It was Delicious I added some warm strawberries with a little bit of homemade whipped cream
Mmmm that sounds tasty!! Thanks for sharing!
Absolutely delicious! This is definitely a keeper! Thank you!
You’re welcome! So glad to hear you enjoyed the cake!
How far ahead can I make this cake? And does it need to be refrigerated?
Yes, you’ll want to keep the cake refrigerated. It lasts pretty well for about 2-3 days in the fridge, so somewhere in that range.
i like all the recipe which u make would love to try this strawberry short cake tooo.my near and dear onces will love it so pls share the recipe
I’m so glad you like the recipe! Here is a link to the recipe for your family and friends Strawberry Shortcake Poke Cake
I made this cake several times it’s always delicious 😋. It’s a great summer cake. Oh soooo good.
Oh I’m so happy to hear you enjoy the cake! It’s a great one for summer!
Hi. I want to make mention that your ingredients list says “whipped cream” and links to a recipe for homemade whipped cream, yet your instructions and video both say to use cool whip. I was a little disappointed to see that after I purchased whipping cream to make the homemade whipped cream when I could have just used cool whip.
Thanks for the feedback!
Made this for the 4th and it was a hit!
See More Comments