Who else is melting wherever they live?! I am!! Houston is pretty hot and humid, so we’re always trying to figure out ways to cool down. Besides playing in the sprinklers and visiting the splash pad, we also love to make and eat cool treats this time of year. We usually have popsicles on hand during these hot months, but whenever there are get togethers, I like to make a cool dessert. I have several favorites that include Kansas City Dirt Cake and Brownie Delight, but my all-time favorite summer dessert is Poke Cake! A close second would be Strawberry Short Cake, so when I saw this recipe from Betty Crocker, I was inspired to try and Strawberry Shortcake Poke Cake recipe. Why not combine two of my favorite treats to make one delicious dessert?!
Let me tell you, the result was amazing!! It had a moist and cool cake layer filled with Jell-o. It was topped off with a delicious cream cheese cool whip frosting with fresh strawberries on top. YUP – perfect for summer time.
While cake is still warm use a fork and poke holes all along the top.
Poor jell-o while it’s still a liquid over the cake and refrigerate it.
Check out that delicious-ness!!! Yes, this is pretty similar to Poke Cake, but using strawberry jell-o and then having that cream cheesy and cool frosting with the strawberries make this treat irresistible!! 😀
For video instructions, check out:
Strawberry Shortcake Poke Cake:
- Yellow Cake mix (plus ingredients on back)
- 1 small box instant strawberry jell-o
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 block (8 oz) cream cheese (softened)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups Cool Whip (or whipped cream)
- 2 pints Strawberries (sliced or chopped)
- Make Yellow Cake by following directions on box.
- Once the cake is out, take a fork and poke it all over.
- While cake is still warm, make jell-o by adding mix to 1 cup hot water and dissolving and then adding 1 cup cold water. Spoon this liquid over the top of the cake, making sure it goes through the holes made by the fork.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours.
- When ready to serve make frosting by mixing cream cheese, and powdered sugar in a medium bowl. Add vanilla. Mix to well combined. Fold in Cool Whip.
- Spread over cake.
- Spread sliced strawberries over the frosting or add individually to each cake square. ENJOY!
This is another summer treat we LOVE:
For more great summer treats, check out: