Is your family like us in that we never need an excuse to make dessert? 😉 It might be a little worrisome, but it’s pretty upsetting to the kids if there isn’t a dessert after dinner. And I’m not talking about OUR kids. I’m talking about my parents’ kids… The ADULTS! It’s no secret that we have dessert after every wonderful Sunday meal… and weekday meals… and Friday night for funsies (we’re awesome like that!) Often, we have a birthday (or five), to celebrate that month, so we feel a little more justified in our sugar overloads (like we really need justification?)
May happens to be Carpenters month! My son was born in May so we celebrate with cake or cupcakes. But he was born on our anniversary, so we have to celebrate the day after with cookies or cake. A few days later is my birthday, so we do more celebrating with more treats, or in this case, scrumptious Strawberry Shortcake Bars (there may have been pazookie in there too)!
These Strawberry Shortcake Bars from Divas Can Cook are now a favorite among the adults. The super soft cake like crust perfectly combines with a light layer of cream cheese and whipped cream, topped with fresh cold strawberries. It’s heavenly! If that doesn’t sing “Happy Birthday to you”, I don’t know what does!
If you’re a fruit lover, I’m certain you will LOVE this simple but perfectly sweet Shortcake Bar recipe. See for yourself!
For video instructions, check out:
Strawberry Shortcake Bars:
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 pint strawberries
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- ¼ - ½ cup powdered sugar
- 8 oz frozen Cool Whip
- In a large bowl, beat together sugar and butter until creamy. Mix in eggs, baking powder and salt. Alternate between adding in the flour and milk, beating after each addition. Beat until all ingredients are combined. Stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour batter evenly into a greased and floured a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. We sure not to over bake. Cake should be flat and light in color. Let cool completely. Set aside.
- Dice up strawberries and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together cream cheese, powdered sugar and frozen whipped topping. Evenly spread cream cheese mixture over top of cooled cake. Top with diced strawberries.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours.
Recipe from Divas Can Cook.
TRIED & TRUE FINDINGS:
- DIFFICULTY: Simple
- HOW MANY DOES IT FEED: 12-16
- ANY CHANGES MADE: none. This was just too simple to change up, and we’re glad we didn’t.
- ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR NEXT TIME: None.
This is another fruity dessert we love to enjoy in the summer:
- Strawberry Nutella Pizza
- Lemon Sheet Cake
- White Chocolate Blueberry Lasagna
- Strawberry Jello Pretzel Salad