With a hint of almond extract, a heavenly glaze, and cherry pie filling swirled throughout, these delicious Cherry Bars are the sweetest way to easily treat a crowd!
Easy cherry pie bars!
Have any of your friends ever made a dessert before, and after trying it you tell them, “I NEED that recipe!!” Well, that’s exactly what happened when I tried my friend, Marie’s, Cherry Bars.
These bars were DELICIOUS, but the two things I loved most about them were: A) they had almond extract which is my all-time FAVORITE ingredient and B) they just looked darn right pretty. And who can resist a pretty treat?
This cherry pie bar recipe is great for so many reasons, but it also serves a ton, making it perfect for parties and get togethers. They are amazing served on their own but would also be great served with ice cream. 🙂
Tips for Perfect Cherry Bars
Pan size: If you do not have a jelly roll pan that is 10×15 you can use a 9×13 pan. However, the dough will be thicker and will require a longer bake time.
No sticking: To make cutting and serving this dessert easy, simply line your pan with parchment paper. Once the bars cool a bit, use the overhanging parchment paper to lift it out of the pan.
Perfect slices: Then you can use a sharp knife, wiping the blade between cuts, to make even squares.
This recipe is pretty easy to change and use your favorite pie filling. Instead of using a cherry pie filling you could use blueberry, peach, raspberry or strawberry pie filling.
Adding a cream cheese layer is also really delicious. Simply beat together 8oz cream cheese (softened), ¼ c sugar and 1 egg. Spread it over the batter, then add the cherry pie filling layer.
STORE the cherry bars in an airtight container, separating the layers with parchment or wax paper. They will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.
To FREEZE the bars, wrap each one with plastic wrap. Then, either wrap them each again with aluminum foil or place the plastic wrapped bars in a freezer safe container. Freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw before serving.
For more bar desserts, check out these favorites:
Cherry Bars Recipe
- 10 ½ x 15 ½ jelly roll pan
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- ½ tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease your 10 ½ x 15 ½ jelly roll pan.
- Cream sugar, butter, and vanilla in a medium bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs, beating well. Add flour and baking powder, stir just until blended.
- Spread ⅔ of the batter into the cookie sheet. Spread the pie filling over the batter. Drop remaining batter by teaspoonfuls over the pie filling.
- Bake for 33-38 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- For glaze, mix together the glaze ingredients in a medium bowl; drizzle over cooled bars. Let set until glaze is set.
- Cut into bars. Enjoy!