Don’t miss a thing! Subscribe for the Lil’ Luna Newsletter by going HERE.
Who loves bananas?
We are definitely obsessed in my family!! We buy 2 bunches a week! YUP. It’s a great snack that the kids love and one that I don’t mind them eating at all. Occasionally, we are left with a few by the end of the week so I’m often baking with those leftover bananas. The kids love these baked goods just as much! I’m right there with them and love a warm slice of banana bread or a delicious banana muffin in the morning. I also like having a few spare bananas for baking because I feel like there are always opportunities to take some to the neighbors, to some friends, or to someone at church who might need a little “extra” love.
One recipe I had yet to try was Banana Bars. My mom wanted to try them and they were a hit. Not sure if it’s the sour cream or loads of butter that make these bars so moist and delicious OR the cream cheese frosting, but either way they were amazing. They obviously didn’t last long at my family’s house and have been added to the “recipes to make with over-ripe bananas” list. 😉
I admit the frosting is always the best part and I think you’ll love these bars, especially if you’re a fan of bananas as well. 🙂
Here is the recipe for these yummy Frosted Banana Bars:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ cups ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- In a large mixing, beat your butter with an electric mixer for approx 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking soda and salt; beat until combined. Beat in bananas, eggs, sour cream and vanilla. Stir in flour. Spread in a greased 15x10x1 baking pan.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Let cool.
- Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla until combined.
- Spread over cooled top and cut into bars. Cover and store in refrigerator. Decorate as desired.
As I mentioned before the bars are so moist and delicious (even without the frosting!!) The butter and sour cream are amazing and adding the cream cheese frosting make them even better.
I promise you’ll love these bars because they are irresistible!
Here are some more of our favorite Banana recipes:
For all dessert recipes on the site go HERE.
For all recipes go HERE.
And get weekly emails with monthly freebies by signing up for the Lil’ Luna newsletter. 🙂
Pictures for this recipe were re-taken by contributor, Alicia, of The Baker Upstairs.