You don’t need yeast to whip up this yummy cream cheese banana bread! It’s delicious, simple, and topped with a cinnamon and sugar crust.
That yummy swirl of cream cheese makes it even more delicious!! Wish I had a whole loaf to myself right now. For more heavenly sweet breads try Glazed Lemon Zucchini Bread, Chocolate Chip Banana Bread, and Cinnamon Pull Apart Bread.
Next Level Banana Bread
I’ve talked about my love for non-yeast bread recipes before. They’re usually super easy, and we are always on the hunt for the yummiest recipes.
My mom was able to find one – yet again! It’s similar to our favorite banana bread recipe, only with a few modifications (or upgrades, if you will).
The recipe was darn right delicious, as you could only expect with sour cream, cream cheese, cinnamon/sugar on top. It’s definitely a new favorite, and we can’t wait to make it again.
If you love Banana bread, you’ll definitely want to try this Cream Cheese Filled Banana Bread. It takes regular Banana Bread to that next great yummy level of goodness!
How to Make Cream Cheese-filled Banana Bread
MIX BREAD BATTER. Mix sugar, butter & eggs. Dissolve baking soda in sour cream, add bananas, salt and 2 cups flour. Mix all together.
DIVIDE. Divide the batter into 2 bowls. Now take the batter from the first bowl and pour it evenly into TWO 9”x5” bread pans.
MIX FILLING. Mix cream cheese, sugar, egg, and flour in a bowl until smooth and creamy. Layer evenly over mixture in both bread pans.
DIVIDE. Divide the batter from the second bowl evenly in both pans, covering the layer of cream cheese.
TOPPING. Sprinkle top with 1 TB sugar mixed w. ½ teaspoon cinnamon before baking.
BAKE. Bake at 350 for 50 min. Cool and serve.
A few things to keep in mind…
- This bread would make delicious french toast or even french toast casserole. Yum!
- Greek Yogurt can be used in place of sour cream for a healthier option.
Tips + Tricks
How to ripen bananas fast: This recipe calls for 3 RIPE bananas. Generally bananas on the counter take 4+ days to ripen to the point they’re good for bread making. I have some tricks you can use to make this bread much sooner than 4 days. *These times are based off of using bananas that are just a little green.
- Brown Paper Bag: Place the fruit in a brown bag and loosely close the top. They should ripen in only about 24 hours
- Oven: Put the UNpeeled bananas on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees until the peels become shiny and black. (They may also leak a bit of juice) Allow them to cool before removing the peel.
- Microwave: Use a fork to poke several holes over the banana. Microwave in 30 second increments until the banana is soft. This may take up to 2 minutes.
- Side note: Whenever I have bananas that become too ripe to eat I throw them in the freezer. This way I always have some on hand when I want to make bread. Allow them to thaw, trim the end of the peel, and squeeze the top. The banana will slide right out.
Other Pan Sizes + Storing
This recipe yields two standard sized bread loaves, but it can easily be made in other types of pans.
- 4 or 5 mini loaves: Separate the batter into two bowls. Divide the batter from one bowl into the mini pans. Then, evenly divide the cream cheese mixture and then divide the remaining batter between the pans. Bake for about 30-35 minutes.
- Muffins: Separate the batter into two bowls. Divide the batter from one bowl into the cupcake tins filling each tin about ¼ of the way. Next, evenly divide the cream cheese mixture into the tins and then top that with the remaining batter. Bake for about 25 minutes.
- Bundt pan: Pour half the batter in a well greased bundt pan. Spread all the cream cheese and top off with the remaining batter. Bake for closer to 1 hour.
- In all cases use a wooden skewer or toothpick to check for doneness.
How to store: You may not have leftovers, but just in case you do…
- Counter: Due to the cream cheese, you can only keep this bread on the counter for a couple of hours.
- Fridge: Store the bread in an airtight container/bag in the fridge for up to a week.
- Freezer: Wrap the bread whole, or as individual slices with plastic wrap. You can wrap it again with foil or place them in an airtight freezer safe container. Label and freeze for up to 3 months.
For more quick bread recipes, check out:
- White Chocolate Lemon Bread
- Glazed Lemon Zucchini Bread
- Blueberry Quick Bread
- Cinnamon Quick Bread
- Best Pumpkin Bread
- Zucchini Bread
for more banana recipes
Cream Cheese Banana Bread Recipe
Cream Cheese Mixture
- 8 to 10 oz cream cheese softened
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp flour
- Mix sugar, butter & eggs. Dissolve baking soda in sour cream, add bananas, salt and 2 cups flour. Mix all together.
- Divide the batter into 2 bowls. Now take the batter from the first bowl and pour it evenly into TWO 9”x5” bread pans.
- Divide the batter from the second bowl evenly in both pans, covering the layer of cream cheese.
- Sprinkle top with 1 TB sugar mixed w. ½ teaspoon cinnamon before baking.
- Bake at 350 for 50 min. Cool and serve.