Light + Fresh Strawberries and Cream Angel Food Cake Trifle takes minutes to assemble, which makes it great for entertaining!
A summer favorite!
This next dessert is a summer favorite!!
Strawberries and Cream Angel Food Cake Trifle is part Strawberry Shortcake (but with Angel Food Cake) with a white chocolate cheesecake mousse, all combined in trifle form. It’s cold, creamy, light, and perfect for summertime.
We love that it serves plenty for a summer party, BBQ, or holiday (it’s perfect for Fourth of July!) and it’s also quite simple to make.
I’ll definitely be making this one again and soon because it is so yummy and easy to throw together!
How to Make an Angel Food Trifle
CUT & SLICE. Begin by cutting your angel food cake into 1 inch cubes. Set aside. Slice all of your strawberries.
CREAM MIXTURE. Make the cream mixture by making your pudding as directed on the box. Add the large tub of cool whip and whisk together until well combined.
LAYER. Make the trifle by adding ½ cream mixture to the bottom of your trifle bowl. Then add your angel food cake squares. Then add your strawberry slices. Top off with the other half of the cream mixture and then a strawberry on top.
Note: You can create more layers by doing ⅓ cream mixture instead. Then add ½ angel food squares, half the strawberries, ⅓ cream mixture and repeat the layers.
Tips + Variations
Angel food: Angel food cake was used to make this berry trifle. I love how light and fluffy the texture is. You can use your favorite angel food cake recipe, buy a boxed mix, or even purchase a plain angel food cake at your local bakery.
Strawberries: Picking a good strawberry will really make this dish shine. A perfectly ripe strawberry is a deep red color with no green or white spots. It should not be too mushy but have a good solid texture with a bright green top. They will also have a nice sweet aroma.
Cool Whip: We used a tub of cool whip, but if you’d like to make your own whipped cream using heavy cream, use this recipe!
Pudding: Make sure you use INSTANT pudding mixture. We opted for white chocolate pudding, but you can easily substitute it for your favorite pudding flavor such as vanilla or cheesecake pudding.
- Add other fresh berries such as raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries.
- Add white chocolate shavings.
- Layer in white chocolate chips.
Making Ahead & Storing
Making this ahead of time: I would suggest only making this the day of, otherwise the excess strawberry juice and the cream will seep into the cake and eventually make it soggy. To store it before eating cover the trifle dish with a piece of cling wrap or foil to keep it fresh.
If you want to prepare the ingredients 1-2 days in advance you can store the different ingredients in separate containers in the refrigerator until you are ready to assemble the trifle.
STORE any leftover trifle, covered, in the fridge.
For more trifle desserts, try:
- Candy Bar Trifle
- Brownies and Cream Fruit Trifle
- Grasshopper Trifle
- Oogie Boogie Trifle
- Chocolate Spider Trifle
Strawberries and Cream Angel Food Cake Trifle Recipe
- 1 angel food cake
- 1 1/2-2 pints strawberries sliced
- 3.3 oz white chocolate instant pudding mix
- 2 cups milk
- 16 oz whipped cream
- Begin by cutting your angel food cake into 1 inch squares. Set aside.
- Slice all of your strawberries.
- Make the cream mixture by making your pudding as directed on the box. Add whipping cream and mix until combined.
- Make the trifle by adding ½ cream mixture to the bottom. Then add half of the angel food cake squares. Then add your sliced strawberries.
- Top off with the remaining angel food cake pieces, and the other half of the cream mixture and then a strawberry on top.
- NOTE: Add more layers by doing ⅓ cream mixture instead. then half the strawberries and half the angel food cake pieces. Repeat with another ⅓ cream mixture , half of strawberries, the other half of the angel food cake pieces and the remaining cream mixture with a strawberry on top.